Under supervision of the Financial Aid Coordinator of Financial Aid Services, or Assistant Director (or designee), the Financial Aid Customer Service Representative is responsible for providing an excellent customer service experience for students during all interactions, displaying empathy, composure, and disseminating all financial aid information clearly and accurately as students move through the financial aid process, and to provide students with FAFSA® completion guidance.
Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Supports students through the multi-dimensional student contact (front desk, email, telephone), performing process-based triage and counseling.
2. Assist students through the financial aid process by clarifying process steps and reviewing where they are in the overall process.
3. Provides an excellent customer service experience for students during every interaction by displaying empathy, composure, and reason while providing students with guidance to complete the financial aid process within proper timeframes.
4. Answer telephone and route calls to appropriate departments.
5. Liaises with student's assigned financial aid officer with respect to any issues on student submitted documentation or questions from students and process/eligibility.
6. Ensures that all students receive the proper follow up and achieves the completion of the financial aid process in a timely manner.
7. Assists students with FAFSA® completion guidance.
8. Input and accurately maintain student records with the Ellucian Banner system.
9. Must be flexible regarding assigned daily location, to work interactively with Admissions, Students Services and other areas to support the needs of students and improve operational outcomes such as retention and persistence and ensuring overall student satisfaction.
10. Engage in training and professional development pedagogy as assigned.
11. Maintain statistical data for reporting purposes for daily tally sheet compilation.
12. Maintain and control financial aid materials needed for Financial Aid counter and related areas.
1. High School diploma or equivalent
2. English and Spanish fluency, in both verbal and written communication
3. 2 years of Financial Aid or Higher Education environment experience
4. Proficiency in Word and Excel applications
5. The ability to work with a diverse population and perform successfully in high volume environments
6. Strong analytical and organizational skills and the ability to make decisions and to refer matters up the line as appropriate.
7. Must be able to lift, carry, push, or pull up to 10 pounds or less 5% of the workday
8. Must be able stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl 5% or less of the workday
9. Must be able to talk, see, hear, concentrate, think, learn and reason for all of the workday
10. Must be able to sit and walk or otherwise move around for prolonged periods throughout the workday.
11. Must be able to use a keyboard and do manual tasks for prolonged periods throughout the workday.
4 years of customer service experience, preferably in higher education.
Essex County College is an open-door public access community college that is committed to providing quality educational programs and life-long learning opportunities at a very affordable cost. The College is open to students with a wide variety of backgrounds and abilities. We take pride in the richness of our diversity and our nurturing atmosphere, which encourages students who might not otherwise aspire to higher education to enroll and excel.