Los Angeles, CA Vice President for Enrollment Management
Mount Saint Mary's University offers a dynamic learning experience in the liberal arts and sciences to a diverse student body. As a Catholic university primarily for women, we are dedicated to providing a superior education enhanced by an emphasis on building leadership skills and fostering a spirit to serve others. Our measure of success is graduates who are committed to using their knowledge and skills to better themselves, their environments, and the world.
~Mount Saint Mary's Mission Statement
Reporting to the President and serving as a member of the President's Cabinet, the new vice president for enrollment management at Mount Saint Mary's University (https://www.msmu.edu/) in Los Angeles will oversee admission (undergraduate, graduate, weekend/evening & online college) and financial aid for the institution's 2,700 students. The VPEM will be an experienced, data driven enrollment leader who utilizes evidence based enrollment strategies for multiple student populations while leveraging financial aid to provide sustained growth in enrollment, academic quality, and diversity.
The VPEM will have strong analytical, planning, leadership, and execution skills with a demonstrated appreciation and understanding of liberal arts at a private faith-based university as well as the value of an undergraduate women's college education. A student-centric professional, they should have a proven record of achievement in enrollment, communications, and marketing, as well as notable understanding of broader trends and issues in higher education. The VPEM will work closely and collaboratively with all University constituencies in the development and implementation of policies, practices, and strategies to promote student recruitment and retention, enrollment management and strategic initiatives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential duties and responsibilities of the Vice President for Enrollment Management include:
● Provide effective leadership to all personnel in the Enrollment Management division; lead, motivate, and empower a team of more than 20 talented and hardworking professionals and advocate for and support the professional development of staff through supportive supervision, assessment of area objectives, and professional training/resources. ● Prepare and submit the Enrollment Management division's informed input to the University Annual Budget in conjunction with the Cabinet. ● Work collaboratively to engage administration and faculty to explore program offerings, capitalize on growth opportunities, and determine the most effective programmatic delivery methods. ● Partner closely with the Academic and Student Affairs divisions to reimagine and activate recruitment initiatives in a way that will be appealing for students, locally, nationally and internationally. ● Embrace and enhance the diversity of the Mount's student body and demonstrate a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in student and staff development. ● Strategically leverage financial resources by creatively using need and merit-based strategies. ● Promote efficiency of all enrollment management operations through the supervision of enrollment management budgets. ● Provide leadership for integrated retention initiatives across all student populations. ● Act as advisor to the President in all enrollment management matters and serve as a member of the President's Cabinet; update and advise the University President and President's Cabinet of all significant opportunities and challenges affecting the Enrollment Management Division and make appropriate recommendations for correction or improvement. ● Participate as a member of the senior leadership team (President's Cabinet) on institution- wide responsibilities and decisions. ● Serve as a co-liaison, with the Vice President of Administration and Finance, to the Finance Committee of the Board of Trustees on issues relating to enrollment. ● Advise and provide input to the University President and President's Cabinet to expand their understanding of trends in higher education and aid in planning for the future development of the University; build and enhance effective relationships at the Cabinet level in order to strengthen recruitment and retention efforts.
● Establish and promote cooperative relations and build pipelines and pathways with the community; the general public; corporations and businesses; other universities; community colleges; and elementary, middle and secondary schools. ● Ensure, by example and supervision, that all personnel and activities of the Enrollment Management division reflect the culture of excellence and high national regard of the University. ● Possess market awareness in order to create and implement a competitive enrollment marketing plan to increase enrollment at all stages; coordinate enrollment marketing efforts for all areas of admissions. ● Collaborate and coordinate all enrollment management activities, functions and operations with the Divisions of Academic Affairs, Student Affairs, Finance and Facilities and Institutional Advancement. ● Possess an in-depth knowledge and savviness with technology (experience with Slate is preferred), and show a sophisticated understanding of innovative methods to use data to make decisions. ● Understand and navigate the complexity of multiple campuses, appreciate the differences in academic offerings and student populations, and be able to articulate the nuances to various stakeholders clearly and effectively. ● Exhibit strong decision-making skills, and the ability to manage change in complex organizations. ● Possess the willingness and ability to clearly understand and recruit the various populations, serve the unique needs of each population, and strengthen the connections between and among the different programs on campus. ● Connect deeply with the university's impressive alumnae network to enhance recruitment opportunities.
Qualifications, Abilities and Characteristics
The successful candidate should have a bachelor's degree (a graduate degree is strongly preferred) and ten years of progressive enrollment management and/or admissions experience; at least five of those years must be in a senior leadership role. Candidates should possess an understanding of nuances in recruitment for multiple student populations in a multiverse of modalites. In addition, candidates for this position should demonstrate the following characteristics, skills, abilities and understanding:
● Substantial experience with contemporary enrollment management practices and an astute observer of market trends in higher education. ● Demonstrated leadership ability, a proven track record in University recruitment and retention. ● Ability to allocate resources creatively and effectively to affect enrollment and yield.
● A strong understanding of how to leverage financial aid in order to maximize enrollment of new and continuing students. ● Familiarity with undergraduate, graduate student and non-traditional student recruitment, including recruitment for online programs. ● Analytical, data-informed and results-oriented with proven skills in strategic thinking, problem resolution, organization, and project management. ● Demonstrated leadership qualities of being flexible, optimistic, responsive, and appropriately opportunistic. ● Skilled at public speaking. ● Agile in developing staff, fostering teamwork and managing change. ● An innovative, strategic thinker with strong interpersonal and communication skills who has a proven track record in increasing enrollment. ● A trustworthy, open, and honest professional who leads with integrity and candidness. ● Comprehensive knowledge and expertise in enrollment management. ● Externally savvy and internally collaborative. ● A sense of humor. ● Proven commitment to the value of diversity and the mission of Mount Saint Mary's University; a strong appreciation for a private, single-sex faith-based education.
● A background in private, tuition-dependent educational institutions is preferred.
Established by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet (CSJs) in 1925, Mount Saint Mary's University welcomes students of all faiths, nurturing students in their intellectual and spiritual growth. As a Roman Catholic institution, the Mount is part of the oldest university tradition in the world. Mount Saint Mary's University is the only women's university in Los Angeles and one of the most diverse in the nation. As a leading liberal arts institution, Mount Saint Mary's provides year-round, flexible and online programs at the undergraduate and graduate level. Weekend, evening and graduate programs are offered to both women and men.
Led by MSMU's 12th President, Dr. Ann McElaney-Johnson, the University is known nationally for its research on gender equity, its innovative health and science programs, and its commitment to community service. Recently, MSMU has completed a $132 million fundraising campaign effort surpassing its $100 million goal. Dubbed 'Unstoppable', the campaign brought in contributions for a wellness center, scholarship, and educational excellence. Mount Saint Mary's is ranked #1 in Social Mobility for the 2020-21 US News and World Report Best Colleges list, and #3 by MONEY Magazine on the Most Transformative list nationwide, reflecting the high value of a Mount education, and the impact it has on the lives of its students and families.
The Mount has been awarded several highly competitive federal grants, including the Department of Education, which gave the University $3 million to develop innovative MBA courses and programming; and the National Science Foundation's Improving Undergraduate STEM Education, which provided $1.4 million to grow recruitment and retention of undergraduate women in STEM fields. Several grants are preparing students for vital roles, including a Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) grant for $1.9 million to help diversify the nursing workforces; and a $1.2 million grant from the National Science Foundation Noyce Scholarship Initiative to prepare STEM K-12 teachers.
Most recently, the Mount received a transformative gift of $15 million from author and philanthropist MacKenzie Scott. The funds from this gift will allow the university to create new academic programs that meet the needs of students and society; expand women's leadership initiatives with a focus on social justice issues locally, nationally and globally; establish cutting- edge learning technologies and educational spaces; build a healthy and vibrant learning environment; and invest in intensive experiential opportunities so students graduate ready to enter the workforce as effective and inclusive leaders.
For the past 96 years, Mount Saint Mary's University (MSMU) has been recognized nationally for its academic quality, community service, empowerment of women, leadership development and commitment to social justice. Its 2021-2026 Strategic Plan is a reflection of the Mount's strong foundation and a blueprint for the path forward as they embark on the next century of educating and developing global leaders.
The Mount offers associates, baccalaureate and graduate degrees as well as certificates and credentials. Learn more information about our Academic Programs.
The Mount is committed to becoming an anti-racist institution and has a Center for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. You may also read the University's Diversity Statement.
Mount Saint Mary's University has two beautiful and distinctive campuses in Los Angeles, California. The Chalon Campus, located in the Brentwood neighborhood of Los Angeles, overlooks the J. Paul Getty Center, the Santa Monica Mountains, and the Pacific Ocean. Twelve miles away, the Doheny Campus near downtown Los Angeles, is situated on land once owned by the Doheny family and features many historic buildings.
To learn more about each campus, see the MSMU website and specifically The Chalon Campus and The Doheny Campus. The full website is https://www.msmu.edu/.
To Apply Napier Executive Search (https://napiersearch.com/) is assisting Mount Saint Mary's University with this critical search for Vice President for Enrollment Management. For more information, to arrange a confidential conversation, or to nominate someone, please contact Mary Napier ([email protected]) or Laura Robinson ([email protected]). For priority consideration, send the following three items: 1) a resume; 2) a detailed cover letter indicating your specific interest and qualifications, and 3) contact information for professional references by June 15 electronically via email to [email protected]. References will not be contacted without candidates' explicit permission. The search will continue until the position is filled; the start date is estimated as late summer 2021.
Mount Saint Mary's University is an equal opportunity employer. The University is thoroughly committed both to providing equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees, and to providing a work environment that is free from harassment, discrimination and retaliation.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Mount Saint Mary's University is an independent, Catholic, liberal arts university which provides a values-based undergraduate education for women, as well as innovative programs for professional men and women on two historic campuses in Los Angeles. The Mount is the only Catholic university primarily for women in the Western United States. It is also nationally recognized for its academic programs, its culturally diverse student body, and its focus on preparing the next generation of citizen leaders.