Assistant Women's Basketball Coach (PTWBB-22) - Oakton Community College
Oakton Community College
Location: Des Plaines and Skokie, Illinois
Internal Number: 149074
Location: Des Plaines and Skokie, IL Category: Adjunct Faculty Posted On: Wed Jun 15 2022 Job Description:
Basic Function and Responsibility:
Under direct supervision, provide support to the Head Women's Basketball Coach and the basketball program through match coaching, player and team skill development and recruitment and retention of academically and athletically prepared students. Support activities of the basketball program within the rules and guidelines of the NJCAA, the Illinois Skyway Collegiate Conference and the college. Demonstrate a sound and committed educational philosophy for holistic student development including academic, athletic and personal. Support the mission and philosophy of the college.
Characteristics Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Assist the Head Coach planning and conducting in season and off season team practice and conditioning programs.
2. Assist the Head Coach and players during game play.
3. Assist individual players in basketball skill development through skills training and weight and conditioning training.
4. Assist in the identification and recruitment of new players to the program. This may include traveling to regional high school and club basketball events and basketball showcases.
5. Assist in the scheduling of basketball practices and matches, including arranging transportation, driving a team vehicle, securing funds for travel, making travel arrangements, etc.
6. Represent the Athletic Department and the Women's Basketball program on college committees or task forces and at college events and/or other public meetings.
7. Communicate as necessary with the other Illinois Skyway Collegiate Conference and NJCAA Region IV Basketball Coaches.
8. Participate in Athletic Coaches professional development including annual training in NJCAA regulations, CPR, AED usage, Blood Born Pathogen, Exercise Induced Asthma and use of Epi-Pen.
9. Secure and maintain certification in First Aid and CPR/AED required.
10. Assist the Athletic Department in the academic support of student athletes as well as the facilitation of academic support activities including the collection of academic progress reports.
11. Perform other job duties as assigned.
Administrative supervision is received from the Senior Manager of Athletics and direct supervision is received from the Head Women's Basketball Coach.
Functional supervision exercised of the Women's Basketball team members, managers and student employees.
1. An associate's degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable skills and abilities can be obtained is required. A bachelor's degree is preferred.
2. One year of basketball coaching experience as a head or assistant coach at the college, high school, club or travel team levels is required. Collegiate coaching experience preferred.
3. Collegiate level playing experience preferred.
4. Knowledge of NJCAA/NCAA/NAIA rules and regulations is preferred.
6. Excellent interpersonal, organizational, planning and leadership skills and positive role model for young adults is expected.
7. Ability to work independently in an unstable and chaotic environment desired.
8. Valid Class "D" driver's license required.
9. Work performed in different environments including interior/office work areas, gymnasiums and outdoor areas.
10. Work will required significant physical effort associated with coaching and teaching basketball skills and techniques. The work will also require the lifting and movement of equipment up to 50 pounds
11. Limited exposure to physical risk
12. Regional travel required with occasional extended out of state travel for post season competition.
Two basketball related references required.
Part-time faculty are paid on a lecture hour equivalents (LHE) basis. For most courses, the LHE is the same as a credit hour. For others, the LHE represents additional work for teaching the class, such as grading papers for Composition classes or teaching a class with a laboratory section (computers, languages, and the sciences); in those cases, the LHE represents a figure higher than the credit hour. All part-time faculty start at the beginning pay rates, regardless of the level and type of experience obtained elsewhere. Those rates for the 2020-21 academic year are $1155/LHE for faculty without doctorates and $1237/LHE for faculty with doctorates.
Part-time faculty advance one step within the salary schedule with the successful completion of 2 fall & spring semesters where 3+ LHEs are taught in each semester.
Part-time faculty are hired on a semester-by-semester basis. A reasonable effort is made to assure the assignment of courses to more senior part-time faculty who are fully qualified by virtue of their education, training, work experience as related to current technology and pedagogical techniques, and who have had a history of successful performance at Oakton Community College.
All assignments are conditioned on sufficient enrollment. Once a course starts, the part time faculty member is expected to complete the course.
Please contact Matthew Robitaille at [email protected] if you have any questions or experience problems in submitting your application. Oakton is accessible by public transportation.
Oakton requires all employees to adhere to a Vaccination /Testing Mandate
For 50 years, Oakton Community College has been the setting where thousands begin or continue their college or career studies. Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life for everyone who enters its doors.