Location: Rockville, Maryland
Montgomery College accepts applications for Adjunct/Part-time Faculty on a continuous basis. Applications may be reviewed periodically based on the student enrollment needs. The listing of a course in the schedule of classes as "TBA" does not constitute an assignment. The hiring decision for part-time faculty involves an academic judgment and shall be determined at Management's sole discretion.
The Montgomery College, Rockville campus, is currently accepting applications for possible openings as a part-time faculty member to teach Biology, including courses such as Introductory Biology, Microbiology, and/or Anatomy & Physiology, depending on department needs. We are seeking enthusiastic and dedicated individuals who exhibit a high degree of professionalism, a strong commitment to our students, and demonstrate the ability to motivate and educate students in an engaging manner.
Part-time faculty may also serve as embedded academic coaches supporting the Achieving the Promise Academy, Montgomery College's academic coaching program to help students succeed in college-level biology courses. Academic coaches empower students to reframe challenges, build on their strengths, and target areas for growth by embedding within course sections and partnering with instructional faculty to support students. Academic coaches attend class in person, in coordination with the instructional faculty, and hold coaching sessions outside of class. In addition to helping students strengthen their understanding of critical concepts, embedded academic coaches use a variety of coaching strategies to help students develop the academic skills, knowledge, attitudes, and habits that contribute to success in their Biology classes and in college more broadly.
***Montgomery College accepts applications for Adjunct/Part-time Faculty on a continuous basis. Applications may be reviewed periodically based on the student enrollment needs. ***
- The listing of a course in the schedule of classes as "TBA" does not constitute an assignment.
- The hiring decision for part-time faculty involves an academic judgment and shall be determined at Management's sole discretion.
- During the academic year part-time faculty at Montgomery College may teach no more than 11.5 ESH (equivalent semester hour) per semester and no more than 23 ESH per academic year.
- During summer part-time faculty at Montgomery College may teach no more than 10 ESH (equivalent semester hour) for both sessions combined.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach assigned lecture, discussion and/or laboratory courses in biology. Courses may include introductory biology, microbiology, anatomy & physiology, genetics, environmental biology, or general biology for non-majors.
- Teach a varied schedule of courses that may include daytime, evening, weekend and/or accelerated sections. Opportunities may exist to teach summer session classes.
- Follow guidelines from department course coordinators to ensure consistent content coverage and student experience across multiple sections of a course.
- Administer, grade and provide feedback to students in a timely manner to monitor student mastery and progress through a course.
- Meet established deadlines to submit student mid-term and final course grades.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities When Serving as Embedded Academic Coach:
- Collaborate and coordinate with host faculty members to provide targeted support to students.
- Visit in-person classes to actively engage and build relationships with students.
- Reinforce course material through both virtual and in-person subject matter coaching.
- Disseminate reminders to students using a variety of communication tools.
- Engage with students and destigmatize help-seeking behavior through active, collaborative, and culturally relevant approaches.
- Model and teach self-advocacy, academic skills, and non-cognitive skills.
- Refer students to learning centers, libraries, resources, workshops, and student organizations at the college.
- Complete onboarding and trainings hosted by the Achieving the Promise Academy.
- Master's degree in Biological Sciences or a related major with relevant courses.
- Proficiency with and ability to use a Learning Management System (LMS) and other web-based instructional technology to facilitate learning in a web-enhanced environment.
- Demonstrated experience teaching using a variety of pedagogical strategies and instructional delivery methods, online resources, and technology applications to deliver content.
- Successful candidates will have a demonstrated commitment to promoting diversity, inclusion, and multicultural competence in an educational and work environment and must be willing to contribute to the Colleges strategic plan of inclusion.
- Faculty members are expected to have access to a personal computer with virus protection that can connect to the internet outside of the work location (i.e., office, classroom, college campus)*. Montgomery College (MC) provides an MC e-mail account and access to the learning platform, password-protected faculty sections of the website, college listservs, and other faculty communications tools. *If you do not have access to a personal computer, please notify the department chair at the time of interview. Subject to available funds, the college may be able to provide temporary access to resources.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States without a sponsor.
- Ph.D. degree in Biological Sciences.
- Experience teaching introductory biology courses and laboratories at the college level.
Additional Preferred Qualifications for Embedded Academic Coaching:
- Ability to coach students with varying levels of preparedness for college-level work.
- Experience in student success efforts designed to increase completion and student success for African American/Black and Latinx student populations.
- Ability to use a wide range of interpersonal skills to work cooperatively with others and productively manage conflict and challenges.
As a condition of employment, the following are required at the time of hire:
Successful completion of a background check and degree verification (if applicable).
For international degrees, you must provide US degree equivalency verified by a nationally recognized credential evaluation service.
Sunday, April 30, 2023