Associate Director, College Advising and Director of Academic Advising for Student Athletes
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana
Internal Number: IRC27905
Position Summary:The Associate Director of College Advising and the Director of Academic Advising for Student Athletes serves as a member of the leadership team of NTC academic advising. This position has the following responsibilities: Manages and leads the operations of the Academic Services for Student Athletes; develops and manages academic advising practices, policies and procedures to support student-athlete success; assists the Compliance Office in calculation of the NCAA’s annual Academic Performance Rate data and report; complies with NCAA academic support services according to accreditation evaluation and reports; develops, implements, and monitors budgets and all related finances; and completes referrals/outreach/partnerships with committees, work standards and other duties as assigned.
1. Function: Manages the operations of the Academic Services for Student Athletes: Provides sound academic advisement for student-athletes within the guidelines of the NCAA and the University; collaborates with NTC College Advising leadership to develop appropriate advising programs and outreach for student athletes regarding NTC Core Curriculum and academic policies; develops programs which guide student progress through the academic curriculum; works with academic departments to provide accurate advising and/or referrals; develops academic and personal support programs including study programs and academic skill-development initiatives; ensures that access to tutoring services and other support services is facilitated and the number and quality of tutors is adequate; lead, manage and supervise a team of Senior Academic and Career advisors; oversee and track tasks assigned to Senior Academic and Career advisors; mentor, train and develop and conduct annual reviews for all staff; conduct regular meetings with their team and one on one meetings with each staff member; manage academic support facilities; academic evaluation of prospective student-athletes; and manages departmental communications, including annual reports, handbooks, manuals, web site, forms, and other communications necessary in the operation of the department. (35%)
2. Function: Provide a High-Quality Advising Experience: Meets weekly with members of assigned athletic teams regarding academic progress in each class, including performance on tests, quizzes, papers, attendance, etc.; serves as principal contact for all student athletes in assigned sports as pertains to academic advising; monitors academic progress of assigned student athletes; ensures student satisfaction and success by meeting with students individually throughout the academic year; reviewing degree plans to assure students are progressing satisfactorily; and discussing academic and career development goals with students; advises students on academically related matters to include degree planning, selection of major (s) and minor (s), curricula and core requirements, course scheduling and sequencing, and arranging appropriate academic timelines leading to personal, academic and career goals and success; evaluates student academic background and qualifications, guide student decision making and make appropriate recommendations; recognizes students with academic trouble, or personal challenges, or at risk and develop appropriate remedies and inform and/or refer to appropriate individuals and/or services; monitors students at risk and develop plans to help them succeed; adheres to the concept of advising as a proactive initiative and a form of teaching; learns and implements student development theories and practices as they pertain to academic advising and develop and practice a consistent academic advising philosophy; and celebrates student accomplishments, recognize student successes and personal triumphs, and recommend students to scholarships and other awards. (20%)
3. Function: Develops and manages academic advising practices, policies, and procedures to support student-athlete success: Serves as an academic advisor for assigned student-athlete populations; trains counselors, tutors, and support staff on NCAA rules regarding student- athlete academic performance; manages academic staff’s role in the NCAA student-athlete certification process; keeps current with policies and procedures related to Academic Advising; develops and implements policies, procedures and programs regarding continuing academic and athletic eligibility, tutorial services, study requirements, class attendance and academic goal setting; develops and implements an effective plan for the systematic monitoring of student-athlete academic progress and experience; works closely with academic advisors to facilitate academic planning, course selection and registration for student-athletes; responds to student, parent, faculty, colleagues, administration or other constituent inquiries by phone or email in a timely manner; develops and follows best practices in time management, variety of student contact methods, and problem solving; ensures that student athletes are aware of all policies governing both university and NCAA eligibility; ensures that class attendance and study hall/sessions are monitored; ensures that student athletes are provided with the opportunity to make academic plans and discuss academic options; ensures that student athletes are progressing logically, successfully, and on time through their course of study; and communicates in a timely manner appropriate information concerning issues with student athletes to the appropriate staff members or coaches. (20%)
4. Function: Referrals/Outreach/Partnerships Keep current with policies and procedures related to Academic and Career Advising: Communicate on a regular basis with academic advisors and coordinate efforts; communicates with faculty and administrators across the University on academic matters that affect student-athletes; works directly with coaches and athletic department officials on student-athlete academic issues; serves as a liaison between students and faculty/administration. Serves as a mediator to successfully resolve academic and other student-related issues; works collaboratively with other campus resources and make referrals as appropriate; participates in events sponsored by assigned schools or departments; and assists with coordination and planning of student activities related to advising, new student orientation, commencement, and other related programs. (10%)
5. Function: Develops, implements, and monitors budgets and all related finances: Completes a budget plan every year; manages departmental programming and personnel budget; monitors and reviews expenditures regularly and ensures that budgets are not exceeded; prepares monthly departmental budget and expenditure reports; maintains accurate and complete financial records; ensures that department is in compliance with University financial policies and procedures; and notifies supervisor of any budget deviations. (5%)
6. Function: Committees, Reports, Work Standards and Other Duties as Assigned: Attends and requires staff to attend College Advisors weekly and special meetings; develops and distributes periodic reports to athletic coaches and other officials on the status of student athletes; prepares required NCAA and other reports related to student athletes and advising; seeks opportunities for continual professional development; participates in at least one Academic Advising Committee; works with academic advising colleagues in a cooperative and productive manner to achieve the Academic Advising Center goals and objectives; adheres to professional work expectations by showing up to work by 8:30 am or assigned time, completing assignments on time or early, being present at meetings at least five minutes before the start of the meeting, completing paperwork and correspondence daily, actively participating in discussions, providing solutions to problems, taking a proactive and creative approach to work, ensuring a positive and productive work environment; and performs other duties as assigned. (5%)
Required Education and Experience:
Master’s Degree with 4 years of directly related work experience, including experience in an educational setting advising students and/or student-athletes at a NCAA Division I Level Institution and experience certifying NCAA eligibility.
Bachelor’s Degree with 7 years of directly related work experience, including experience in an educational setting advising students and/or student-athletes at a NCAA Division I Level Institution and experience certifying NCAA eligibility.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities/Competencies:
Working knowledge of NCAA academic requirements and regulations.
Sincere desire and ability to assist student athletes to succeed.
Ability to effectively manage and supervise full time and part-time staff - 3 years of experience.
Ability to process and easily reference policies and regulations.
Working knowledge of standard computer software such as office suite, email, etc. and ability to learn and utilize specific software necessary for academic advising practice and tutoring.
Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Experience in managing organizational budgets and finances.
Effective time management skills.
Great attention to details.
Ability and desire for continuous improvement and learning academic advising best practices.
Ability to interact effectively with student-athletes, advisors, coaches, faculty, and administrators.
Ensures that all Department of Athletics and University related activities operate in full compliance with university, conference, and NCAA rules and regulations. Attends and participates in scheduled compliance seminars and complies with all the Athletic Department’s efforts to monitor compliance with NCAA regulations. Seeks interpretations from the compliance staff before acting when necessary. Reports potential rules violations immediately. Completes required compliance paperwork in a timely and efficient manner. Monitors all of their areas and/or programs activities closely to maintain compliance with applicable rules and regulations.
In order to be considered for this position, applicants are required to apply for IRC27905 via the Tulane University employment website (https://jobs.tulane.edu/position/IRC27905). The position is OPEN UNTIL FILLED.
Tulane University is committed to creating a community and culture that foster a sense of belonging for all. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We are intentionally seeking candidates who are committed to fostering equity, diversity, and inclusion in support of Tulane’s Strategy for Tomorrow.
Tulane University is responsible for providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the applicant screening process. If you need assistance in completing this application or during any phase of the interview process, please contact the Office of Human Resources & Institutional Equity by phone at 504-865-4748 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Founded in 1834, Tulane is one of the most highly regarded and selective independent research universities in the United States. A member of the prestigious Association of American Universities, we take pride in being a part of this select group of 62 universities with “pre-eminent programs of graduate and professional education and scholarly research.” Our schools and colleges offer undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees in the liberal arts, science and engineering, architecture, business, law, social work, medicine and public health and tropical medicine. With a seventeen-sport program that competes in the American Athletic Conference, Tulane Athletics is on the rise, boasting one of the oldest and most storied athletics programs in the Southeast, and indeed the nation.
Tulane University is an EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged.