Location: Ithaca, New York
Manager of Industry Partnerships, Break Through Tech
Cornell University embraces diversity and seeks candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports students, faculty and staff of all identities and backgrounds. We strongly encourage individuals from underrepresented and/or marginalized identities to apply.
About Break Through Tech
Break Through Tech works at the intersection of academia and industry to propel more underrepresented women into higher education and careers in tech -- with a particular emphasis on Black, Latinx, Indigenous, and first- generation college going women and non-binary students.
Hosted by Cornell Tech, Break Through Tech AI is the new program from Break Through Tech on a mission to credential and fast-track undergraduate women into careers in the fastest-growing areas of tech: data science, machine learning, and artificial intelligence. Developed with industry leaders, the Break Through Tech AI program includes three high-level components that are considered critical for increasing the competitiveness and marketability of students pursuing AI/ML engineering roles: (1) skills-based training, (2) industry-relevant portfolios, and (3) mentorship, career coaching, and job placement support. Over the next four years, the Break Through AI program will expand nationwide to foster a diverse next generation of AI leaders who will build AI technologies that are fairer and more representative of our society.
About the Role
Cornell Tech seeks an Manager of Industry Partnerships who will cultivate and manage employer relationships with relevant companies across the country for partnership with the inaugural Virtual Site. The Industry Account Manager will be responsible for developing a strategic plan to cultivate industry partnerships across technology and engineering firms, including big tech, Fortune 500, and startups, in the Machine Learning and AI ecosystem. This individual will be the main point of contact for industry stakeholders, including at the Director-level and above, to enable engagement with the Break Through tech program via sourcing volunteers to host project challenges, mentoring our students, and sharing internship and full time job opportunities for our Break Through Tech AI Program participants.
As the industry point of contact for all AI Virtual Program activities, the successful candidate in this role will ensure an excellent customer experience for our industry partners, will leverage data to identify and codify best practices, and will employ a feedback loop to iterate and continuously improve the program. The Manager of Industry Partnerships will work closely with the Virtual Site Operations team to ensure seamless collaboration across the program. This role will report into the Director of the Virtual Site Program, and will work closely with the Break Through Tech Virtual Program Team, in particular the AI Studio Operations Lead and Career Development Lead positions once hired. This role will also work cross-functionally with the Break Through Tech National Senior Director of Industry Partnerships and Business Development to ensure that industry partnership approaches are aligned to national strategy.
The Manager of Industry Partnerships must have strong organizational skills and experience in both partnership development, relationship management and program execution, with the ability to set priorities and coordinate ongoing activities in parallel, manage competing demands, and provide timely responses to urgent issues. The ideal candidate has a flexible, entrepreneurial spirit, thrives in a startup environment, has the ability to connect academic culture and curriculum to real world digital culture, and excels in development and management of both personal and corporate partnerships.
Essential functions include:
- Develop and manage corporate partnerships; Solicit AI Studio project submissions and Mentor Volunteers from companies across the country - 75%
- Build and scale a practitioner engagement program - 25%
This is a full-time, benefits-eligible 3-year term position with the possibility of renewal. This position requires occasional work on evenings and weekends, particularly during the academic year. The responsibilities may be completed remotely or hybrid. Working remotely within the United States, aside from travel, is allowable with an Eastern Time Zone daily availability. Please note: there will be several in-person team meetings per year held at our NYC campus (all travel related expenses will be covered).
- Bachelor's degree and minimum 5 years of experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Passion for diversity in tech, education, and social impact.
- Work in either an academic or corporate setting coordinating or managing relationships, event planning, or program development and implementation.
- Must have very strong organizational skills and program management skills with experience planning and executing large academic or corporate
- Proven ability to create, operationalize, and manage project plans and deadlines.
- Experience and demonstrated success working in leadership roles in program development and execution in the areas of education, training, talent development, internship and/or mentorship programs, and/or student services.
- Has the ability to communicate and "sell in" academic and corporate leaders to strategic opportunities for programmatic engagement.
- Ability to communicate with, work effectively with, and maintain a positive rapport with students, professors and corporate leaders alike.
- Strong interpersonal skills and relationship building qualities are essential in order to expand corporate engagement.
- Must be able to take a leadership role as public spokesperson for the Break Through Tech AI Program in a variety of settings.
- Experience with Salesforce or equivalent CRM tool
- Additional relevant work experience beyond 7 years.
University Job Title:
Corporation Foundation Officer III
Alumni Affairs Development
Pay Rate Type:
$88,966.00 - $122,010.00
Remote Option Availability:
Job Titles and Pay Ranges:
Noted pay ranges reflect the potential pay opportunity for each job profile. The hiring rate of pay for the successful candidate will be determined considering the following criteria:
Prior relevant work or industry experience
Education level to the extent education is relevant to the position
Unique applicable skills
Academic Discipline (faculty pay ranges reflects 9-month annual salary)
Online Submission Guidelines:
Applicants that do not have internet access are encouraged to visit your local library, or local Department of Labor. You may also visit the office of Workforce Recruitment and Retention Monday - Friday between the hours of 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. to use a dedicated workstation to complete an online application.
Notice to Applicants:
Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University's heritage. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities. We also recognize a lawful preference in employment practices for Native Americans living on or near Indian reservations. Cornell University is an innovative Ivy League university and a great place to work. Our inclusive community of scholars, students, and staff impart an uncommon sense of larger purpose, and contribute creative ideas to further the university's mission of teaching, discovery, and engagement.