Location: Ithaca, New York
Graduate Program Coordinator/Field Assistant-Department of Human Centered Design
Cornell University embraces diversity and seeks candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports students, faculty and staff of all identities and backgrounds. We strongly encourage individuals from underrepresented and/or marginalized identities to apply.
About the Department of Human Centered Design
The Department of Human Centered Design was created in 2021 to leverage existing strengths in Fiber Science & Apparel Design (FSAD) and Design + Environmental Analysis (DEA) to form a preeminent department in Design. The department is governed by one Chair and spans two distinct academic programs, graduate fields, and buildings, and numerous areas of research. We currently offer 8 graduate degree programs: MA in Apparel Design, PhD in Apparel Design, MA in Design, MS in Fiber Science, PhD in Fiber Science, MS in Human Environment Relations, PhD in Human Behavior and Design, and MPS in Human Ecology.
The Department of Human Centered Design is seeking a Graduate Program Coordinator/Field Assistant to serve as the primary contact for the Graduate Fields of DEA and FSAD and oversee the administrative operations for both fields, including providing high level support to the two Directors of Graduate Studies (DGS). As GFA, you will strive to harmonize procedures and policies in DEA and FSAD to create equity across both fields. In addition, you will:
- Serve as a liaison to various College and University offices for the graduate programs and
provide necessary information, guidance and resources to faculty, students and applicants regarding policies and
- Be responsible for maintaining all graduate student records in both fields, including but not limited to: managing applications, acceptances, year of matriculation and graduation, concentrations, committee information, academic progress, M, A and B exams, funding
commitments, and historical funding provisions.
- Work with stakeholders to place students in Assistantships and assist with University and College Fellowship applications and stewardship.
- Oversee appointments in Workday and awards in Peoplesoft.
- Collaborate with other staff, provide back-up support for the department and the
Undergraduate Program Coordinator as necessary.
- Provide essential support for and coordinate departmental graduate events aimed to enhance and maximize the graduate student experience in Human Centered Design.
This is a full-time (39 hours/week) Contract College position that is based in Ithaca, NY and completely on-site. Typical work hours are 8am-4:30pm Monday through Friday.
What We Need
We are looking for a team member who is highly organized, a critical thinker and quick learner, proficient at using MS Excel, and collaborative. Additionally, you will:
- Hold an Associate's Degree with 4-6 years of high-level administrative assistant or student services experience and/or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrate strong communication (written and oral), organizational, and
interpersonal skills as well as strong computer skills (MS Office, including Excel/Outlook).
- Display a positive work ethic and take initiative and handle ongoing activities while using sound judgment in decision-making with close attention to detail.
- Aptitude to troubleshoot, adapt and make recommendations for change/improvements.
- Demonstrate ability to handle confidential material with discretion and professionalism; work under pressure and to prioritize workload; anticipate and recognize the impact and implications of activities.
- Work equally well independently and in a team environment.
If you possess these experiences and skills this may be the role for you! There are a few other qualifications that we would view as incredibly helpful in this role, to include:
- Experience in an academic setting is a plus.
- Familiarity with Cornell systems, i.e., Workday, PeopleSoft system, CCI (course update
system), CollegeNet, or the ability to learn such systems quickly, will be helpful.
A cover letter and resume are required for further consideration for this position.
Rewards and Benefits
No Visa Sponsorship is available for this position.
University Job Title:
Student Services Asst V
Pay Rate Type:
$24.88 - $28.58
Remote Option Availability:
Number of Openings:
Job Titles and Pay Ranges:
Noted pay ranges reflect the potential pay opportunity for each job profile. The hiring rate of pay for the successful candidate will be determined considering the following criteria:
Prior relevant work or industry experience
Education level to the extent education is relevant to the position
Unique applicable skills
Academic Discipline (faculty pay ranges reflects 9-month annual salary)
Online Submission Guidelines:
Applicants that do not have internet access are encouraged to visit your local library, or local Department of Labor. You may also visit the office of Workforce Recruitment and Retention Monday - Friday between the hours of 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. to use a dedicated workstation to complete an online application.
Notice to Applicants:
Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University's heritage. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities. We also recognize a lawful preference in employment practices for Native Americans living on or near Indian reservations. Cornell University is an innovative Ivy League university and a great place to work. Our inclusive community of scholars, students, and staff impart an uncommon sense of larger purpose, and contribute creative ideas to further the university's mission of teaching, discovery, and engagement.