Towson University (TU) is one of the nation’s top 100 public universities. Located north of Baltimore, TU currently enrolls over 22,000 students and is the second-largest university in the prestigious University System of Maryland. Towson University values diversity and fosters a climate that is grounded in respect and inclusion to cultivate the intellectual and personal growth of the entire university community.
Reporting directly to the Assistant Vice President of Inclusion and Institutional Equity, the Title IX Coordinator & Title IX/Civil Rights Investigator is responsible for the coordination of all complaints associated with possible violations of Title IX regulations and TU policies and procedures. The Title IX Coordinator provides guidance and oversight to Deputy Title IX Coordinators and will be able to articulate a clear understanding of how to effectively interpret and implement university rules and regulations. This position will support the daily administration of the Title IX activities, education, training, and programming for the university. In addition, this position will serve, as needed, as a Title IX/Civil Rights Investigator and will provide training and education regarding laws, regulations, policies, and procedures for unlawful discrimination and unlawful harassment.
Responsibilities for the Title IX Coordinator & Title IX/Civil Rights Investigator include, but are not limited to the following:
- Oversees and manages all Title IX complaints to ensure the prompt assessment and review of all Title IX matters and to ensure timely completion of the Title IX investigation and adjudication process consistent with university policies and procedures; provides outreach and accommodations for inquiries relating to sexual misconduct or discrimination; guides Title IX/Civil Rights Investigators, Deputy Title IX Coordinators, and campus partners on best practices and interpretation of rules and regulations
- In the Title IX/Civil Rights Investigator role, this position will conduct a prompt and thorough assessment and if warranted, investigation of all complaints, ensuring compliance with university policies and processes, as well as all applicable laws; ensures a well-documented investigation process analyzing information and working with the appropriate university offices during the course of investigations; and maintains accurate and thorough investigatory files and reports, preparing comprehensive reports of investigation findings of fact and recommendation(s)
- Coordinates with TUPD, Student Affairs, Office of General Counsel, Department of Athletics, as needed, and others regarding the Clery Reports, as well as any information requests from USM audits, OCR, NCAA, etc.
- Provides information to employees and students regarding current policies, procedures, and administrative processes, addressing a variety of issues and/or providing general support; provides educational outreach and training, and assists in the development of marketing and educational materials to employees and students on the topic of sexual misconduct and discrimination; coordinates assessment efforts on education and training programs and collaborates with others on surveys to assess university climate
- Continuously maintains current information regarding federal and state laws and regulations, as well as integrates best practices in investigations; maintains current information relating to employment policies and procedures for faculty and staff under Civil Rights/ Title IX; ensures that university-related information is readily available on all aspects of discrimination /Title IX; participates in University System of Maryland Title IX work groups
- Serves on related committees and panels as requested; collaborates with the designated supervisor and staff across the university