|Job Summary: || |
The Associate Director will lead Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) efforts for the Center for Teaching, Learning & Mentoring (CTLM). Their work will align with CTLM's mission and include:
1. Working with CTLM staff to infuse EDI practices into their work with instructors and campus partners
2. Overseeing EDI professional learning opportunities for campus instructors
3. Providing leadership for professional learning opportunities on EDI for CTLM staff
4. Leading CTLM's EDI Group (4 staff)
This exciting combination of responsibilities presents unique opportunities to shape CTLM and to foster equitable and inclusive practices and learning environments for students and instructors across the university. The associate director will play a key role in building relationships and collaborating with our partners in academic departments; schools and colleges; the Division for Diversity, Equity, and Educational Achievement; Student Affairs, and other units that support teaching and learning.
This position reports to the Associate Vice Provost and Managing Director of CTLM and is part of the CTLM leadership team along with the other Associate Directors.
CTLM's mission is to improve learning for all students by advancing the craft of teaching at UW-Madison.
We fulfill our mission by providing expertise, resources, coordination and guidance to instructors at all career stages and to those who support instruction at all levels of the academic enterprise. We actively seek partnerships and work collaboratively to:
- Design, develop, implement and support instruction
- Enhance learning environments to foster student success and a sense of community and belonging
- Provide training and development opportunities to enhance instructors? professional learning and skills
- Establish and strengthen connections in the teaching and learning community
The Center for Teaching, Learning & Mentoring is part of the Division for Teaching and Learning (DTL), along with the Office of Undergraduate Advising (OUA), the Wisconsin Institute for Science Education and Community Engagement (WISCIENCE), the Morgridge Center for Public Service, and Student Learning Assessment (SLA).
We are seeking an individual who demonstrates the ability to:
- Foster and promote the values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Share complex information in a clear, concise and organized manner in both verbal and written forms.
- Work effectively and collaboratively as a member of a team and as part of a diverse community of colleagues.
|Responsibilities: ||Leads the development and implementation of proactive diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives in support of the division's strategic plan to create a learning and working environment where all have an opportunity to succeed. |
- 25% Directs strategic planning initiatives and establishes divisional objectives to ensure appropriate allocation of resources
- 30% Partners with institutional leaders, faculty, students, staff, and internal and external constituency groups to ensure programming supports the division's values and strategic goals and assesses and monitors program effectiveness
- 20% Exercises supervisory authority, including hiring, transferring, suspending, promoting, managing conduct and performance, discharging, assigning, rewarding, disciplining, and/or approving hours worked of at least 2.0 full-time equivalent (FTE) employees
- 5% Develops and audits the unit budget, monitors financial activities for grant funding
- 15% Leads the development of professional learning opportunities and support resources on EDI for instructors and CTLM staff.
- 5% Develop equitable and inclusive practices and procedures for the center and contribute to development at the divisional level.
|Tasks: || |
- Work with CTLM staff to infuse EDI practices into their work with instructors and campus partners.
- Lead the development, implementation, and evaluation of professional learning opportunities on EDI for instructors (e.g., learning communities, affinity groups, workshops).
- Provide leadership for professional development opportunities on EDI for CTLM staff.
- Collaboratively lead, develop, & carry out a strategic plan for establishing and enacting EDI as core principles of the CTLM, expressed in workplace culture, work practices, programs, & services.
- Serve on the CTLM leadership team and provide guidance on the CTLM strategic plan and initiatives.
- Advise managing director/associate vice provost, leadership team, and staff on strategies to establish and enact equitable practices within CTLM and throughout its programming and services.
- Supervise and manage staff who lead the Madison Teaching and Learning Excellence program and EDI-related programming.
- Partner with Division for Teaching and Learning leadership and EDI staff to establish, enact and evaluate divisional EDI goals.
- Establish and nurture partnerships with other units on campus to further EDI within CTLM, the Division for Teaching and Learning, and the university.
- Other duties as assigned.
|Institutional Statement on Diversity: || |
Diversity is a source of strength, creativity, and innovation for UW-Madison. We value the contributions of each person and respect the profound ways their identity, culture, background, experience, status, abilities, and opinion enrich the university community. We commit ourselves to the pursuit of excellence in teaching, research, outreach, and diversity as inextricably linked goals.
The University of Wisconsin-Madison fulfills its public mission by creating a welcoming and inclusive community for people from every background - people who as students, faculty, and staff serve Wisconsin and the world.
For more information on diversity and inclusion on campus, please visit: Diversity and Inclusion
|Education: || |
|Qualifications: || |
- Experience working with and supporting instructors and educators in a higher education or K-12 setting.
- Experience successfully supervising, guiding and/or mentoring staff.
- Ability to lead teams in a collaborative and inclusive manner that focuses on strong working relationships, trust-building, team-development, and campus-wide community development.
- Awareness of current national trends and effective practices in the areas of equity, diversity and inclusion within teaching and learning.
- Understanding of and ability to articulate the complexities of historical societal structures that result in power and privilege dynamics that significantly impact individuals, organizations, and communities.
- Understanding of how current systems impact diversity, equity and inclusion efforts and ability to re-envision and rebuild systems to allow for growth and success.
- Experience implementing EDI learning initiatives and programming, including planning, design, development, implementation, and evaluation.
- Demonstrated ability to foster and promote the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion within an organization or community.
- Superb oral and written communication skills with exceptional attention to detail.
- Ability to think and act strategically and to analyze and interpret complex situations and address multifaceted needs, opportunities and challenges.
- Experience implementing EDI initiatives in a higher education setting.
- Experience working with and supporting instructors and educators in a higher education setting.
- Success creating a culture of distributed leadership, designing systems that support positive cultural changes, and developing leaders through a strong focus on mentorship.
- Superior leadership skills with the ability to inspire, motivate, influence and engage direct and indirect reports.
|Work Type: || |
Full Time: 100%
This position may require some work to be performed in-person, onsite, at a designated campus work location. Some work may be performed remotely, at an offsite, non-campus work location.
|Appointment Type, Duration: || |
|Salary: || |
Minimum $95,000 ANNUAL (12 months)
Depending on Qualifications
The minimum salary for this position is $95,000 with the opportunity for negotiation based on a candidate's qualifications for the position. Actual pay will depend on experience and qualifications. Employees in this position can expect to receive benefits such as generous vacation, holidays, and paid time off; competitive insurance and savings accounts; retirement benefits.
|Additional Information: || |
- The Division for Teaching and Learning (DTL) strives to create a healthy, welcoming, and inclusive space for all and encourages applications from members of underrepresented communities and from candidates who foster and promote the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Please note that successful applicants are responsible for ensuring their eligibility to work in the United States (i.e., a citizen or national of the United States, a lawful permanent resident, a foreign national authorized to work in the United States without need of employer sponsorship) on or before the effective date of the appointment.
|How to Apply: || |
Please click on the "Apply Now" button to start the application process. Applicants will be asked to upload a resume and cover letter outlining how their qualifications and experience apply to the job responsibilities and tasks of this position. PDF documents are preferred but not required. Pay will be based on experience and qualifications.
We are committed to reducing bias in the recruitment process and may utilize a redacted application process, which is the practice of removing personally identifiable information from application materials, before the screening of applicants begins. This may include, but is not limited to, name, gender, age, education, address, dates (such as graduation dates), photos, references, links to personal webpages, supervisor names, and/or citizenship.
Don't meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that cisgender women, trans individuals, and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At the Division for Teaching and Learning, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you're excited about this role but your past experience doesn't align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
|Contact: || |
Relay Access (WTRS): 7-1-1. See RELAY_SERVICE for further information.