Location: Ithaca, New York
Program Assistant (Hybrid); Ithaca, NY
Cornell University embraces diversity and seeks candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports students, faculty and staff of all identities and backgrounds. We strongly encourage individuals from underrepresented and/or marginalized identities to apply.
Program Assistant (Hybrid)
Who We Are
About the Department
The Department of Computer Science (CS) is an integral part of Bowers CIS. It offers CS undergraduate majors in the Colleges of Arts & Sciences and Engineering, and offers three graduate degree programs; the Master of Engineering, Master of Computer Science, and Ph.D. The department is considered one of the top five Computer Science departments in the US, with world-class research covering all specializations.
This role assists Faculty PIs in managing multi-university, corporate initiatives and their related research programs. It provides administrative, organizational, coordination and communications support for the Cornell-Princeton Network Programming Initiative and the Software Defined Hardware project (NPI-SDH).
Planning and coordinating a wide range of activities and local, national, and international events (conferences/seminars/lectures/workshops and, quarterly review meetings).
Coordinating external and internal communications (including press releases and social media), complex travel arrangements and reimbursements; managing itineraries and accommodations for visitors, and site visits, faculty calendars, procurement of goods and services.
Coordinate logistics for on/off campus embedded corporate researchers. Compose/edit/coordinate material for correspondence, papers, and reports, using discretion and confidentiality; Identify, collect, and integrate from collaborators information for websites, publications, presentations, activities, news, and reports. Coordinate hiring of student employees for research projects, supervise students. Answer inquiries, orient visitors, and perform other tasks as needed.
- Associates Degree; 4 to 6 years' relevant experience.
- Excellent communication (oral/written), organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Detail-oriented and demonstrate sound judgment.
- Exceptional customer service skills and capacity to handle competing priorities.
- Work independently and as a member of a team.
- Proactive in identifying and following up on organizational needs, determining tasks necessary to meet requirements and deadlines, and identifying and engaging support staff and resources as needed.
- Aptitude to work effectively with a diverse group of individuals including faculty, staff, students, and visitors.
- Project a professional image and demonstrate the ability to diplomatically handle a wide variety of situations.
- Technically adept in variety of software and internet tools (e.g., HTML, Drupal, Excel, Word), and able to learn new tools as needed.
Employees are expected to meet all of the Cornell University Staff Skills for Success, which are essential for individual and organizational success.
This position is located in Ithaca, New York and will provide hybrid work flexibility.
No Visa Sponsorship is available for this position.
- Familiarity with Cornell systems (i.e., Accounting, P-Cards, Travel) desirable.
- Graphic design, publishing, multimedia production, web and social media communications strategies, or web design experience.
- Experience with conference/event planning.
- Experience with planning/organizing/coordinating outreach activities.
Rewards and Benefits
University Job Title:
Program Assistant I
Pay Rate Type:
$22.78 - $26.48
Remote Option Availability:
Number of Openings:
Job Titles and Pay Ranges:
Noted pay ranges reflect the potential pay opportunity for each job profile. The hiring rate of pay for the successful candidate will be determined considering the following criteria:
Prior relevant work or industry experience
Education level to the extent education is relevant to the position
Unique applicable skills
Academic Discipline (faculty pay ranges reflects 9-month annual salary)
Online Submission Guidelines:
Applicants that do not have internet access are encouraged to visit your local library, or local Department of Labor. You may also visit the office of Workforce Recruitment and Retention Monday - Friday between the hours of 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. to use a dedicated workstation to complete an online application.
Notice to Applicants:
Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University's heritage. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities. We also recognize a lawful preference in employment practices for Native Americans living on or near Indian reservations. Cornell University is an innovative Ivy League university and a great place to work. Our inclusive community of scholars, students, and staff impart an uncommon sense of larger purpose, and contribute creative ideas to further the university's mission of teaching, discovery, and engagement.