New Mexico State University - Department of Public Health
Location: Las Cruces , New Mexico
Type: Full Time
College / University
Internal Number: 198753
New Mexico State University (NMSU) seeks a Department Head of the Public Health Sciences (PHS) who embraces the mission of the department and the larger college of Health, Education, and Social Transformation (HEST). The Department Head of PHS is a full-time employee of NMSU, which offers competitive benefits and wages. The Department Head’s status (faculty rank/tenure, teaching, research opportunities) in the College of HEST is negotiable with the Dean at the time of hire, dependent on qualifications.
The Department Head of PHS has a critical leadership role in achieving the mission of the Department and College. The Department Head will oversee approximately 13 faculty, two staff members, and one student work study. The Department Head will oversee accreditation (Council on Health Education), undergraduate and graduate programs curricula, and research/outreach/community engagement efforts. The Department Head will represent PHS, HEST, and NMSU at the state level when legislators call on the institution to discuss state public health policy. The Department Head of PHS will serve as an instrumental, collaborative leader and is expected to provide leadership and support in advancing the following agenda, among others, over the coming years:
· Engage the faculty of PHS to enact the department’s vision and create programs that support the mission of PHS.
· Promote PHS academic, research, and service collaboration with other academic units in the newly organized college of HEST.
· Enhance the department’s community partnerships (e.g., New Mexico Department of Health).
· Create an engaging academic environment where students, staff, and faculty are invested in a joint effort to advance equity, social justice, and health disparities.
· Implement the recently approved Health Equity Sciences Ph.D. program (a joint doctoral program with the University of New Mexico).
· Grow enrollment in the Bachelor of Public Health and Masters of Public Health programs.
The Department of PHS has an undergraduate enrollment of approximately 70 students and a graduate enrollment of 135 students. The department offers in-person and online Bachelor of Public Health and Master of Public Health degrees. The department is in the final stages of getting a Ph.D. in Health Equity Sciences approved by the state of New Mexico. It is anticipated that the Ph.D. program will start in 2023-2024. The Department of PHS has active research faculty in health promotion, management, administration, and policy, contextualized within HEST Research & Outreach. Please see the department website for additional information.
The successful candidate for the PHS Department Head will demonstrate the following:
1. Have an earned doctorate in Public Health or a related field from an accredited institution;
2. Possess academic credentials commensurate with those required for appointment as a full professor at NMSU, according to the promotion and tenure guidelines in the department of PHS;
3. Successful record (multi-year, with increasing responsibilities) of academic administration (e.g., department head, program coordinator, and research center director);
4. Contributions to advancing equity, inclusion, and diversity;
5. Experience building and sustaining relationships with community agencies;
6. Build and uphold current relationships with the Associate of Public Health program from Dona Ana Community College;
7. Excellent writing, interpersonal, and public speaking communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with multiple constituencies;
8. Demonstrate effective academic leadership (e.g., strategic planning, supervising faculty, and program development);
9. Experience with budgetary processes, promotion and tenure, assessment and accreditation, student affairs and management; and
10. Ability to interact with individuals from diverse cultural and social backgrounds
About New Mexico State University - Department of Public Health
New Mexico State University
We are New Mexico’s land-grant institution and a comprehensive research university dedicated to teaching, research public service and outreach at all levels. NMSU is a welcoming community of talented faculty, staff and students who are working together to make a difference. We are a NASA Space Grant College, a Hispanic-serving institution (HSI), a minority-serving institution (MSI) and home to the first Honors College in New Mexico. We offer an accessible education that shapes bright futures.