To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
If you require any auxiliary aids, services, or other accommodations to apply for employment, or for an interview, at Michigan Technological University, please notify the Human Resources office at 906-487-2280 or [email protected].
Job Description Summary
As an admissions team member, the Regional Admissions Manager is responsible for recruiting and enrolling a diverse group of bright, motivated, and adventurous undergraduate students for Michigan Technological University by effectively managing a primary territory in Southeast Michigan. The ideal candidate is an enthusiastic, self-motivated, results-oriented individual who can work independently with limited supervision. The ability to do what’s needed to meet students and help them through their college search--including sharing a passion for Michigan Tech, our programs, services, and student success--will contribute to success in the position.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
● Increase the number of students interested in Michigan Technological University through tested and proven recruiting and non-traditional creative methods. ● Coordinate with the Associate Director of Admissions to develop and implement programming that will increase applications and yield from select territories across the United States, primarily focusing on Southeast Michigan. ● Visit high schools, community colleges, and community-based organizations and generally participate in recruiting efforts within the designated territory. ● Vigilantly work on yield activity throughout the late fall and early spring through event planning, personal outreach via phone, text, and email, and creating opportunities for prospective students to visit campus. ● Assist with application review throughout the recruiting cycle. ● Be a significant part of Michigan Tech’s growing footprint throughout the United States by recruiting the next generation of talented Huskies. ● Foster relationships with key Michigan Tech alumni and alumni organizations within the designated territory to engage their support of student recruitment. ● Actively participate and be a part of a growing and very talented regional team by contributing ideas, work ethic, and team ethos day in/day out. ● Attend required staff meetings and retreats. ● Ensure a solid connection for the campus by consistently expanding working knowledge of Michigan Tech and being able to present that knowledge in a meaningful way to prospective students and their families. ● Participate in conferences, workshops, and meetings that provide information or opportunities to assist in improving or increasing the effectiveness of recruitment and enrolling undergraduate students. ● Commit to learning about continuous improvement strategies and applying them to everyday work. ● Actively engage in University improvement initiatives. ● Apply safety-related knowledge, skills, and practices to everyday work. ● Perform other duties as assigned.
● Two years related work experience in undergraduate admissions, higher education student services, secondary education, sales, or closely related area ● Experience using personal computer and software packages, including advanced features of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint ● Excellent attention to detail ● Proven ability to solve problems using logic and reasoning
Desirable Education and/or Experience
● Master’s degree ● Experience building and expanding territories in a recruiting or sales environment ● Experience working in secondary or higher education in the territory. ● Experience with undergraduate admissions and recruitment practices at a four-year institution ● Experience recruiting undergraduate students interested in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) programs, as well as those interested in undersubscribed programs ● Fluency in a second language (preferably Spanish) ● Experience working within the CRM system Slate ● Understanding of financial aid practices within higher education ● Experience working independently with limited supervision
● Excellent oral/written communication, customer interaction, and interpersonal skills ● Demonstrated ability to be highly self-motivated and work independently without direct supervision ● Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively across cultural boundaries and work harmoniously with diverse groups of students, faculty, and staff ● Proven competence in managing multiple tasks and competing priorities ● Demonstrated ability to give dynamic and engaging presentations to small and large groups ● Demonstrated ability, willingness, and enthusiasm to travel throughout the state and region ● Demonstrated ability and willingness to work flexible hours, including nights and occasional weekends ● Possession of a valid driver's license and demonstrated ability to comply with Michigan Tech vehicle-use requirements ● Demonstrated ability to live or relocate within recruitment territory ● Demonstrated commitment to contributing to a safe work environment
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities
● Demonstrated knowledge of Michigan Technological University and/or University procedures ● Ability to analyze data to drive recruitment strategy ● Demonstrated knowledge of secondary school and community college educational systems ● Demonstrated ability to build relationships with students, parents, staff, advisors, teachers, and guidance/career counselors
Work Environment and/or Physical Demands
The work environment characteristics and physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. ● The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. ● Demonstrated ability to frequently lift and/or move up to 40 pounds
Required Training and Other Conditions of Employment
Every employee at Michigan Technological University will receive the following 4 required trainings; additional training may be required by the department.
Required University Training:
Employee Safety Overview
Anti-Harassment, Discrimination, Retaliation Training
Annual Data Security Training
Annual Title IX Training
Offers of employment are contingent upon and not considered finalized until the required background check has been performed and the results received and assessed.
Other Conditions of Employment:
The successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment. Visa sponsorship is unavailable at this time. This is not an E-Verified Position.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities
Our scope is international. Our approach interdisciplinary. We work at the intersections of communication, composition, literature, modern languages, philosophy, rhetoric, visual studies, linguistics, gender studies, and technical communication. Our students develop the communicative, analytic, and cultural knowledge to thrive in all aspects of their future lives.Applications from women and BIPOC scholars are highly encouraged by both the department and the institution. Michigan Tech is building a culturally diverse faculty committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from all individuals.