To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
If you require any auxiliary aids, services, or other accommodations to apply for employment, or for an interview, at Michigan Technological University, please notify the Human Resources office at 906-487-2280 or [email protected].
Job Description Summary
Perform routine clerical and administrative support functions with primary emphasis on ticket sales and customer service for Sports and Recreation. Use good judgment regarding set policies and procedures. Provide excellent customer service to a wide variety of customers. Work requires independent handling of operational matters and excellent customer service to a wide variety of customers.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
1. Act as a department liaison to internal and external constituents providing exemplary customer service. Use good judgment and discretion to resolve non-routine issues; independently respond to questions about policies and procedures to resolve issues and/or facilitate contact with appropriate personnel when required. 2. Greet and assist customers in a professional friendly, and courteous manner; independently respond to inquiries and provide information on events occurring at the Student Development Center (SDC), Outdoor Adventure Program (OAP), and Rozsa Center along with other activities on campus and in the community. 3. Sell tickets and process cash receipts for Athletic and Sports & Recreation events utilizing a web-based ticketing system: coordinate and sell Athletic tickets, Huskyfit classes, and SDC, Ski Trail, and Gates Tennis memberships. 4. Receive, account for and balance remittances in Banner and the ticketing system, including reconciling money received for all clients of Ticketing Operations. 5. Serve as project coordinator for box office clients including subscription management and customer service problem resolution. 6. Responsible for maintaining email lists; ensure regular updates with personnel changes. 7. Responsible for departmental payroll and approving student worker timesheets. 8. Coordinate and process routine paperwork, including check requests, inter-account bills, purchase requisitions, petty cash disbursements, Husky Health, payroll deduction forms, etc. 9. Compile and prepare ticketing reports and other departmental projects, as requested. 10. Manage the routine mailings of tickets and season passes and other correspondence to internal and external customers. 11. Order ticket stock, Football VIP Books, and Hockey Suite Books. 12. Receive, screen, and route telephone calls. 13. Commit to learning about continuous improvement strategies and applying them to everyday work. Actively engage in University continuous improvement initiatives. 14. Apply safety-related knowledge, skills, and practices to everyday work.
● High school diploma, or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired.
Required Experience (minimum requirements)
● Three years office/clerical and customer service experience. ● Three years basic computing skills ● Experience using advanced features of word processing, spreadsheet, and database software. ● Experience using advanced features of spreadsheet/database software.
Desirable Education and/or Experience
● College Degree ● Experience working in Ticketing ● Experience working in Athletics or Sports and Recreation. ● Experience working in a bank/cashier environment. ● Experience utilizing Banner, Web Focus, or AudienceView Campus ● Experience working with the public in a fast-paced, information-based environment.
● Superior interpersonal, customer service and oral/written communication skills. ● Demonstrated the ability to work effectively under pressure. ● Demonstrated the ability to effectively adapt to change. ● Demonstrated the ability to work effectively with frequent and multiple interruptions. ● Demonstrated the ability to independently organize and prioritize work assignments in a complex, high volume work environment. ● Demonstrated ability to take the initiative to solve problems. ● Demonstrated ability to interact harmoniously with a diverse customer base. ● Demonstrated knowledge of proper grammar, spelling, punctuation, and proof of reading skills. ● Demonstrated the ability and willingness to work evenings and weekends. ● Demonstrated the ability to work with accuracy, numbers, and attention to detail. ● Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively across cultural boundaries and work harmoniously with diverse groups of students, faculty, and staff. ● Demonstrated commitment to contribute to a safe work environment.
Language, Mathematics and/or Reasoning Skills
● Language skills: Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one on one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
● Mathematical skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
● Reasoning ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems in standardized situations.
Work Environment and/or Physical Demands
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to walk; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; reach with hands and arms and taste or smell. The employee is frequently required to stand; sit; talk or hear; and use hands to finger, handle or feel an object.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, color, and peripheral vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The employee is occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Required Training and Other Conditions of Employment
Every employee at Michigan Technological University will receive the following 4 required trainings; additional training may be required by the department.
Required University Training:
Employee Safety Overview
Anti-Harassment, Discrimination, Retaliation Training
Annual Data Security Training
Annual Title IX Training
Offers of employment are contingent upon and not considered finalized until the required background check has been performed and the results received and assessed.
Other Conditions of Employment:
The successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment. Visa sponsorship is unavailable at this time. This is not an E-Verified Position.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities
Full-Time Equivalent (FTE) % (1=100%)
Contractual. External candidates will receive the minimum amount ($14.25/hr).
Title of Position Supervisor
Ticketing Operations Manager
Internal & External Posting
Special Instructions to Applicants (if applicable)
UAW Posting 12/21/2022 - 1/3/2023 External applicants are encouraged to apply, however internal UAW applicants are given first consideration if they apply during the internal UAW posting dates.
Our scope is international. Our approach interdisciplinary. We work at the intersections of communication, composition, literature, modern languages, philosophy, rhetoric, visual studies, linguistics, gender studies, and technical communication. Our students develop the communicative, analytic, and cultural knowledge to thrive in all aspects of their future lives.Applications from women and BIPOC scholars are highly encouraged by both the department and the institution. Michigan Tech is building a culturally diverse faculty committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from all individuals.