Director of Industry Engagement and Professional Development
Purdue University - College of Health and Human Sciences
Location: West Lafayette, Indiana
Type: Full Time
The White Lodging-J.W. Marriott, Jr. School of Hospitality and Tourism Management (HTM) is comprised of four majors: Hospitality and Tourism, Selling and Sales Management, Retail Management and Financial Counseling and Planning. The undergraduate enrollment for these departments consists of over 700 students, all of which complete up to 640 industry hours prior to graduation. As part of these hours, undergraduate students complete a 1-credit work experience requirement and a variable credit internship, both coordinated by the Ray Kavanaugh Career Center (RKCC). Additionally, HTM enrolls 77 graduate students across two-degree programs who have the option to complete an internship as part of their coursework.
The RKCC coordinates all career development and internship services for undergraduate and masters’ students in HTM. It also facilitates young alumni professional development services where able, as well as all professional development programming for HTM students in general. As part of this program, initiatives such as a mentorship program that pairs current students with alumni and industry professionals may be developed. Further, the RKCC manages external employment relations between HTM industry partners and the school with a goal of creating experiential learning opportunities for students as well as enhancing effective job placement upon graduation. The RKCC develops and manages student-employer focused events and activities in conjunction with HTM faculty and students. In coordination with the Head of School, Student Services and faculty advisors, the RKCC works to develop/plan career paths, meaningful employment opportunities, and engagement with the HTM industry community. Finally, the RKCC is responsible for management of e-recruiting, alumni, and business contact database as well as coordinating and promoting industry visits (e.g., guest speakers) across the school and the broader HTM community.
The director oversees the development, administration, and day to day management of the RKCC, including strategies and operational tactics for marketing, corporate outreach, growth, service, budget and personnel. The incumbent creates, strengthens, and manages employment-oriented relationships between HTM industry partners and builds an awareness of HTM’s RKCC to students as a valued resource for career planning and professional development. The director utilizes data systems to manage internship hiring and assessment initiatives; manages and reviews undergraduate professional development curriculum; works on the development and delivery of new professional development modules for students; and develops new services and engagement opportunities for young alumni such as an alumni/industry relations mentorship program. The director also assists in school events related to student and industry engagement and works collaboratively with the Head of School, faculty advisors, Student Services/advisors, HHS Development, HTM Strategic Alliance Council, Purdue University Center for Career Opportunities and Office of Industry Partnerships. As a key conduit for industry partners/alumni connecting with the school, the director will maintain these relationships to not only facilitate student experiential learning but to also identify strategic opportunities related to development as well as sponsorship of school initiatives (e.g., career fair, courses, projects, events and conferences).
The director oversees personnel assigned to the RKCC and is responsible for their development and performance management. The Director of Industry Engagement and Professional Development will prioritize, develop, organize, and implement strategic initiatives and activities focused on industry partnerships that benefits students, faculty, staff, and alumni.
Master’s degree in a related field and at least 4 years of management, strategic visioning, operational planning, assessment, and career development experience in a business or university setting. Experience managing projects and creating and maintaining relationships with external business entities essential. Experience working successfully with a diverse team. An equivalent combination of education and appropriate experience may be considered
Required Skills & Abilities:
· Ability to create a strategic vision and mission for a RKCC office.
· Ability to evaluate and select relevant information systems for career center needs.
· Strong project management skills and ability translate organizational vision into a project vision, provide direction to team, and keep project moving to completion.
· Demonstrated ability to train, supervise, provide regular feedback to and manage performance of personnel.
· Ability to develop, manage and reconcile project budgets.
· Advanced knowledge of career competencies and outcomes for college students.
· Ability to communicate with and advise undergraduate and graduate students regarding internship positions in HTM related industries.
· Demonstrated ability to communicate and produce reports for senior leadership.
· Demonstrated ability to communicate and collaborate with industry partners and other external facing constituents.
· Demonstrated computer software proficiency including Microsoft Office Suite, databases, email, listservs, internet forms (Google documents), and presentation software.
· Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and independently in a high volume and fast-paced environment.
· Demonstrated verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
· Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively interact with diverse student, faculty and staff populations.
· Demonstrated ability to follow policies and procedures and explain them concisely to students.
· Ability to work nights and/or weekends, as necessary.
· Experience in higher education
· Knowledge and familiarity with job trends in the fields of hospitality and tourism, sales and selling management, retail management, financial counseling and planning.