College/Division: Division of Student Affairs and Academic Support
Department: SAAS Student Life
Advertised Salary Range: 43,030-50,000
Advertised Job Summary:
The assistant director for student governance advances student success by serving as the primary advisor/coordinator for student governance initiatives, facilitating and developing programs and events, providing guidance in budget development and expenditure protocol, and leadership training that will provide student leaders with personal and professional support. This includes but is not limited to the Student Government Executive Branch, Student Senate, Freshman Council, Judicial Branch, the Graduate Student Association, Cabinet and administrative committees. Students involved in student government serve on the Board of Trustees and various university committees advocating for the entire student body. This position serves as the liaison between student governance, the campus community, and the general public.
Primary duties include:
· Advise student government entities and leaders in areas of advocacy and programming.
· Provide guidance and support for the formation and development of student government legislation and policies, programs, and initiatives.
· Provide supervision, training, and support to the elected and appointed leadership in budget development and expenditure protocol for improved effectiveness and efficiencies. Assist students and staff with policies and procedures within the purview of the University of South Carolina campus, student activity fee, student government codes and constitution, and local, state, and federal laws.
· Provide ongoing leadership training and education for all branches of student government including the facilitation of officer elections and selection processes, leadership transitions and training, and advocacy efforts
· Coordinates civic engagement initiatives that provide meaningful beyond the classroom experiences for all student populations including but not limited to voter registration, student governance elections, and non-partisan programming. · Offer support and guidance for the Graduate Student Association in conjunction with the Graduate School by attending meetings and supporting programs and advocacy efforts for graduate and professional students.
Advertised Minimum Qualifications :
Masters degree in Student Services or related field and 1 year related experience, or bachelor's degree and 3 years related experience.
This position has been designated as essential personnel during inclement / hazardous weather and other emergencies. This position will be asked to flex time to work some nights and weekends for functions and events.
May graduates will be considered if they will be able to obtain their degree by the date of employment.
The University of South Carolina is a globally recognized, high-impact research university committed to a superior student experience and dedicated to innovation in learning, research and community engagement. Founded in 1801, the university offers more than 300 degree programs and is a top-tier Carnegie Foundation research institution. More than 50,000 students are enrolled at one of 20 locations throughout the state, including the research campus in Columbia. With 60 nationally ranked academic programs including top-ranked programs in international business, the nation's best honors college and distinguished programs in engineering, law, medicine, public health and the arts, the university is helping to build healthier, more educated communities in South Carolina and around the world.