1. Provide academic advising to undergraduate students to facilitate academic success and timely degree completion.
2. Serve as primary advising contact for students who are on academic probation or exhibiting academic difficulty.
3. Register first-semester students and provide registration support for continuing students.
4. Maintain student records according to professional standards, including confidentiality of information.
5. Represent the Academic Advising department in broader institutional initiatives.
6. Work in collaboration with campus support services (i.e. Faculty, Financial Aid, Academic Advising, Student Development) to identify and follow students of concern as identified through tracking items in The HIVE to triage, escalate and assign alerts to those who can provide outreach and support directly to students.
7. Work in collaboration with Institutional Research and Assessment to identify retention and completion data and for analysis available from The HIVE to support decision making in relation to those efforts at CSB/SJU.
Bachelor's degree with experience in Academic Advising, Residential Life, Counseling, Student Success, or other related area of student support services preferably in an education setting.
Demonstrated skills in the following areas: problem-solving, decision-making, attention to detail, understanding and utilizing data, organization/prioritization, and adaptability
Ability to maintain confidentiality of student information, especially when working with sensitive information
Effective written and oral communication skills
Strong interpersonal skills to positively interact with a variety of constituents
Commitment to developing intercultural competence and desire to contribute to a positive and inclusive work environment.
Critical thinking skills and demonstrated innovation in support of student success
Advanced computer proficiency including strong technical and analytical skills with data management software and reporting including proficiency with the Microsoft office suite.
Preferred: 1. Master's Degree in related field of study 2. Experience in higher education 3. Knowledge of current academic advising theories and techniques 4. Proficiency with academic technologies: (e.g. CSB/SJU utilizes Banner and DegreeWorks student record systems and Starfish early alert system) 5. Experience with Starfish or other case management systems
The College of Saint Benedict (CSB), a liberal arts college for women, and Saint John's University (SJU), a liberal arts college for men, are located in the central lakes area of Minnesota, surrounded by more than 3,000 acres of pristine forests, prairies, and lakes. The campuses are minutes away from St. Cloud, an increasingly diverse regional center with a population of over 100,000, and 70 miles from Minneapolis and St. Paul. Some CSB/SJU faculty and staff choose to reside locally, while others commute from the Twin Cities. Both St. Cloud and the Twin Cities offer a wide range of fine arts, cultural, dining, recreational, and sporting opportunities. CSB/SJU are Catholic colleges in the Benedictine tradition enlivened by values of community, hospitality, stewardship, and justice. The schools are dedicated to cultivating an equitable, inclusive community founded on respect for all persons. Students, staff and faculty from many diverse belief systems and backgrounds collectively bring a rich dimension to the academic, cultural, and religious experience at CSB/SJU. We welcome faculty who devote themselves with passion and integrity to their disciplines and to a transformative educat...ion of their students. With a total enrollment of approximately 3600 students, faculty members develop relationships with students in small classroom settings and have opportunities to work closely with students on research projects, experiential learning experiences, and study abroad programs. Recent initiatives to create a dynamic general education curriculum and to develop plans for a new teaching and learning center demonstrate strong institutional support for faculty development. CSB/SJU offer competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits program.