Title: Student Worker - TRIO Student Support Services
Employee Classification: Student Worker
Department VP, Student Affairs' Office
The TRIO program is hiring Peer Leaders, Mentors and Academic Coaches. TRIO Student Workers:
Create an atmosphere of effective, efficient, friendly and reliable service, providing an easy, accessible, credible resource from which individuals can access information. Perform duties necessary to ensure exceptional student service and assists with a diverse range of administrative support services in TRIO.
Act as a role model in demonstrating study strategies and habits necessary for success in a specified academic area. Assist students with the transition to college.
Primary Duties Performed:
• As an academic coach, provides transformative impact on students by empowering them to understand content material, use effective learning strategies, and learn in a collaborative environment.
• As a Peer Mentor, assists students in completion of mentoring modules and time management plans.
• Facilitates workshops on academic success topics and TRIO orientations. Sets up and monitors TRIO recruitment events.
• Completes contact forms, including student attendance at sessions, accurately and on time.
• Maintains confidentiality of students’ personal and academic information and records as per FERPA and college guidelines.
• Attends required training activities and scheduled events.
• Performs office tasks such as filing, making copies, and scheduling appointments.
• Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
• Must be currently enrolled or registered at St. Louis Community College and making progress toward completion of a degree and/or transfer study program as defined in Board Policy.
• Must maintain enrollment while employed in this position.
• Must be in good academic and disciplinary standing with the College.
• Must have demonstrated ability to relate well with students, faculty and administration.
• Aptitude for tutoring in specific content area or mentoring.
• Good interpersonal communication skills with an emphasis on listening and assessing the needs of diverse learners.
• Possesses effective time management skills: punctual; completes associated responsibilities of the job in a timely manner.
• Patient and passionate about working with fellow students.
• Practices professional behavior in language, dress and demeanor.
• Proficiency with computers, student information system (Banner), Microsoft Office, Blackboard, email.
• Sufficient technical skill to conduct online tutoring sessions with designated virtual platforms.
• Ability to work in a fast paced, demanding environment.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
St. Louis Community College is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes individuals with diverse backgrounds, experience, and ideas who embrace and value diversity and inclusivity.
STLCC has provided opportunity for all. As the largest higher educational institution in the region, STLCC has served more than 1.2 million students. Over 50% of households in the St. Louis area are represented in our former and current student body. Since 1962, St. Louis Community College has held fast to the fundamental belief that education has the power to lift us up — as individuals, as communities and as a city.Today, STLCC consistently ranks among the top associate degree-awarding institutions in the United States. As we launch students into new and better careers, four-year degrees and richer lives, we strengthen St. Louis one student at a time. The College employs 1,400+ full-time faculty and staff and 2,300+ part-time faculty and staff