This position supports the College of Nursing's goals for active learning activities. The main purpose of this position is to plan and coordinate simulation Skills Learning Lab (SLL) and Physical Assessment Lab (PAL) activities/classes. This position will coordinate all functions and activities in the SLL in the CON and the PAL, and provide support as needed in the Health Innovation Technology in Simulation lab (HITS Lab). This includes collaborating with faculty to plan lab logistics, ordering and recycling supplies, manage and assist in revising policies and procedures, setting up labs for student and faculty use, equipment maintenance, and supervision of student workers. The Simulation Skills Lab coordinator will also train other in simulation lab and related technology and instruct students in nursing care through learning activities. The Simulation Skills Lab Coordinator role collaborates with the Simulation Lab Assistant and course coordinators, and clinical faculty to coordinate learning experiences for students. These duties include coordinating with the Simulation Lab Assistant to insure lab content is received from course coordinators, preparing essential equipment and supplies required to perform nursing skills, and ensuring students are comfortable with use prior to entry into clinical settings. The Simulation Skills Lab Coordinator also assists as needed to support simulation events occurring in the high-fidelity HITS Lab.
The Skills Lab Coordinator additionally assists the Simulation Director educating faculty in simulation modalities and best practices throughout the College of Nursing. Ensuring that faculty provide appropriate use of simulation activities is crucial to maintain simulation accreditation with the Society of Simulation in Healthcare.
Support CON Skills Learning Lab & Physical Assessment Labs
* Support SLL & PAL activities/classes
* Provides oversight to the Simulation Lab Assistant to ensure SLL & PAL events are adequately supported
* Facilitating integration of simulation skills into curriculum through collaboration with course coordinators
* Supervise student workers whose responsibility includes inventory maintenance, daily activities within the simulation center(s) and maintain the supplies recycle program
* Assist with management of the simulation budget and reconcile funds
* Assist with the developing and refining simulation learning activities used for simulation experiences
* Tutors students who require remedial work; supervise super user students who have been authorized to tutor students.
* Engage in instructional activities that promote student development of critical thinking to inform clinical decision making, judgement and life-long learning.
* Provide student progress feedback to instructors as needed.
* Advise and consult with the Simulation Director on matters regarding simulation and learning
Maintain HITS and Simulation Skills Lab inventory:
* Assist in coordinating with the Simulation Director, the Simulation Lab Assistant, the HITS Lab Coordinator, and IT Technologist Level III to manage simulation supplies and technology related equipment.
* Submit request to purchase/order simulation equipment, supplies, and services
* Serve as a liaison to medical equipment suppliers used in labs
* Manage the Supply Inventory System
* Responsible for submitting order request for all Sim department supplies, equipment, and services for approval and coordinates with personnel in the CON Finance, Admin & Ops Department to procure
Maintains the physical use of the Learning and HITS labs:
* Ensures that Labs are well-organized, clean, orderly, and operational at all times.
* Orients faculty, students, and staff to the simulation procedures, equipment and facility
* Performs general cleaning of supplies and equipment in the simulation center(s)
* Performs maintenance on equipment and report/arrange for repairs of damaged equipment and supplies
* Conducts tours for interested persons
Assists with simulation events occurring at the HITS lab including, but not limited to:
* Role play
* Managing Control Room and related equipment
* Managing debriefing activities
* Assists with the developing and refining simulation learning scenarios used for simulation experiences
Maintains a safe environment:
* Maintain policies and standard practices related to technology, simulation use, equipment and supplies on loan.
* Keep current with existing safety regulations and policies and procedures related to events.
* Maintain safety equipment.
* Provide training and enforcement of safety procedures to students, faculty and staff using the simulation center(s).
* Ensure safe storage of hazardous materials including sharps containers, medications, cleaning supplies, etc.
Our primary mission is to move forward the frontiers of human knowledge and enrich and elevate the citizens of the state of Tennessee, the nation, and the world. As the preeminent research-based, land-grant university in the state, UT embodies the spirit of excellence in teaching, research, scholarship, creative activity, outreach, and engagement attained by the nation’s finest public research institutions.