Assistant Dean for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Internal Number: 2573217
Assistant Dean for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
About Northeastern: Founded in 1898, Northeastern is a global research university and the recognized leader in experience-driven lifelong learning. Our world-renowned experiential approach empowers our students, faculty, alumni, and partners to create impact far beyond the confines of discipline, degree, and campus.
Our locations-in Boston; Charlotte, North Carolina; London; Portland, Maine; San Francisco; Seattle; Silicon Valley; Toronto; Vancouver; and the Massachusetts communities of Burlington and Nahant-are nodes in our growing global university system. Through this network, we expand opportunities for flexible, student-centered learning and collaborative, solutions-focused research.
Northeastern's comprehensive array of undergraduate and graduate programs- in a variety of on-campus and online formats-lead to degrees through the doctorate in nine colleges and schools. Among these, we offer more than 195 multi-discipline majors and degrees designed to prepare students for purposeful lives and careers.
About the Opportunity: The Assistant Dean for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion has primary responsibility for the Law School's diversity, equity, inclusion, and anti-racism initiatives throughout the Law School. This position will report to the Dean of the Law School and partner with the Dean and Associate Deans to set the strategic vision for the Law School's efforts in this area, and will actively engage with the Law School's students, faculty, staff, and administration to promote a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment for all members of the Law School community.
As a member of the Law School's leadership team, the Assistant Dean is responsible for planning, implementing and evaluating progress with respect to goals related to diversity, equity, and inclusion within the Law School. The Assistant Dean will also work with colleagues across the university to enhance diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives at the law school.
Responsibilities: 1. Facilitates new initiatives and activities that promote diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) in the Law School for students, faculty, and staff.
2. Student-Related DEI Responsibilities
- Takes lead role in planning and implementing DEI programming for students, including portions of new student orientation and events throughout the academic year. - Responsible for the Law School's implementation of University DEI-focused initiatives. - Takes a lead role in planning and executing special programs for entering students from non-traditional and diverse backgrounds to assist them in transitioning to the law school environment. Works closely with faculty on this programming. - Enhances student success through partnerships with affinity bar associations, other affinity organizations and diverse alumni. - Assists the Assistant Dean for Academic and Student Affairs in responding to student concerns related to DEI matters.
3. Admissions-Related DEI Responsibilities
- In collaboration with the Associate Dean for Strategic Initiatives and Enrollment, oversees and participates in efforts to promote DEI within the Law School through admissions-related initiatives.
4. Faculty- and Curriculum-Related DEI Responsibilities
- Takes lead role in planning and implementing DEI programming for faculty, in consultation with the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs.
- Collaborates with the Dean, Academic Associate Deans, and appropriate Law School committees to plan and implement curricular initiatives related to DEI.
5. Staff-Related DEI Responsibilities
- In collaboration with the Associate Dean for Administration and Finance, facilitates and/or provides DEI-related programming for staff.
6. Administrative DEI Responsibilities
- Promotes awareness of and facilitates adherence with University procedures to address bias incidents and/or harassment claims on campus
- Participates actively in the Dean's meetings, ensuring diversity issues are considered and centralized throughout the administrative work of the Law School.
- Works closely with University colleagues on issues of DEI.
- Serves on necessary committees at the Law School and University level to further DEI goals and initiatives.
- Other duties, as needs arise.
Qualifications: The Assistant Dean for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion will ideally have a J.D. and 7-10 years of experience in developing, facilitating, and organizing diversity, equity, and inclusion programming & training.
The ideal candidate must be able to handle complexity in a fast-paced environment and be comfortable operating student services-related software and data systems. Excellent interpersonal communications and effective writing, organizational and analytical skills are essential. Must have proven ability to work independently, be adaptable to new systems and procedures, and be highly responsive to student, faculty, and staff needs and diverse perspectives. Must have demonstrated experience working effectively to enhance racial and social equity.
The Assistant Dean must be a self-starter, innovative, and results-oriented with strong verbal and writing communication skills and the ability to meet deadlines.
Preferred Qualifications: The Director should be committed to the mission of Northeastern University School of Law.
Salary Grade: 13
Additional Information: Please provide a cover letter, list of references, and resume upon submission of your application.
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Founded in 1898, Northeastern University is a private research university located in the heart of Boston. Northeastern is a leader in worldwide experiential learning, urban engagement, and interdisciplinary research that meets global and societal needs. Our broad mix of experience-based education programs?our signature cooperative education program, as well as student research, service learning, and global learning?build the connections that enable students to transform their lives. The University offers a comprehensive range of undergraduate and graduate programs leading to degrees through the doctorate in nine colleges and schools.