Reporting to the Director of Student Media, this position collaborates in the advisement of the Los Angeles Loyolan, ROAR Studios and The Tower yearbook and supervises student employees in the Department of Student Media.
* Collaborate with the Director of Student Media to provide general direction, training and supervision to Student Media students. This includes coordinating training and professional development experiences for student staff; conducting evaluations and reviews of new and existing programming for suitability; assessing and evaluating student staff's effectiveness; meeting weekly in individual meetings with top student staff; attending general student staff meetings.
* Manage business and administrative aspects within the Department of Student Media in collaboration with Director of Student Media to maintain an office environment that will promote efficiency and the highest level of service and professionalism.
* Manage existing Student Media marketing, website and social media platforms.
* Ensure students in the department of Student Media adhere to Student Media Policy Manual and media-specific Operating Guidelines. Provide continuous feedback on policies and guidelines to supervisor in order to make improvements.
* Supervise student employees in the department of Student Media, including ensuring that Student Employment Services' regulations are adhered to.
* Oversee all Student Media equipment, including computer hardware and production equipment.
* Provide input to Director of Student Media regarding establishing budgets. Responsible for managing budgets approved by Director of Student Media and for making appropriate recommendations for action.
* Serve as liaison to Department of Student Media vendors.
* Adhere to the code of professional standards for advisors as developed by the College Media Association.
* Represent LMU within professional organizations and associations, serve on committees as required.
* Assist with annual reports summarizing important details for Department of Student Media, including accomplishments of previous year and goals for upcoming year.
* Perform other duties as assigned or requested.
* Typically a Bachelor's Degree (Master's preferred) in a media-related field such as Journalism, Communications, Graphic Design or Business Management. Experience managing a professional or collegiate media outlet strongly preferred. Incumbent will be expected to continue upgrading knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to keep abreast of regulation/policy changes.
* Minimum three years' experience in professional or college media. Student Affairs' experience in student development and helping students develop a well-defined sense of self and confidence in their abilities preferred.
* Demonstrated knowledge in the area of online content creation and technology. Sufficient knowledge of standard vendor contracts.
* Exemplary communication skills (both written and oral), including the ability to instruct, demonstrate and explain key content creation principles. Ability to organize and moderate various student staff meetings. Ability to think critically to solve problems. Ability to interface with students and administrators in all matters related to the Department of Student Media.
* Demonstrated computer competency in the MS Office suite of software; preferably knowledgeable of Final Cut, Adobe Premiere or similar video editing software.
COVID Vaccination Requirement
To ensure the safety and well-being of our community Loyola Marymount University requires that all students, faculty and staff are vaccinated or have been approved for a qualifying medical or religious exemption.
Founded in 1911, LMU is a premier Catholic university rooted in the Jesuit and Marymount traditions. Our enrollment includes 5,962 undergraduate, 2,129 graduate and 1,278 law school students. Our 142-acre bluff-top campus is located in West Los Angeles and is among the nation's most beautiful and green campuses.