Admissions & Enrollment Services Counselor U18 Office of Admissions and Enrollment Services
Thomas Edison State University provides distinctive undergraduate and graduate education for self-directed adults through flexible, high-quality, collegiate learning and assessment opportunities. One of New Jersey’s senior public institutions of higher education, the University offers associate, bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees in more than 100 areas of study, predominantly online. At Thomas Edison State University we embrace a diverse and dynamic workforce that drives innovation, learner success and organizational growth. We welcome you to apply to be a part of our team.
Major Duties & Responsibilities:
Serves as the point of contact for all TESU new students at the point of inquiry through application (minus any determined specialized populations) through the point of enrollment in their first term by providing personalized outreach including course recommendations.
Maintains a thorough understanding of and can provide clarification to new students regarding the various academic and administrative aspects of the University (current TESU degree programs, University academic policy, the TESU Academic Evaluation, transfer credit policies & procedures, financial aid processes, course registration, etc.)
Advocates on behalf of applicants and new students as a liaison to other TESU departments to limit the number of phone transfers to other departments.
Tracks individual student progress towards the ultimate goal of course registration and proactively reaches out to assist students through these processes.
Orients and navigates new students through available TESU technology (currently Recruit, OSS, MyEdison.).
Engages effectively via telephone, in-person and email inquiries through quality communication and student service techniques.
Manages ongoing communication with applicants and new students at various outreach points by possessing good writing, organizational and prioritization skills.
Develops/maintains proficiency in the use of available University technology for assisting students through the enrollment process (currently Microsoft Suite, Colleague, OnBase, Informer).
Understands and accepts new situations, performs well with minimal instruction, makes sound decisions in absence of detailed instructions or direct supervision, keeps supervisor and co-workers informed of status of assigned work.
Comes to work for scheduled shifts on time and ready to work at scheduled time.
Completes special projects as assigned by a member of the management team in Admissions and Enrollment Services.
Examples of Other Work:
- Respond to telephone inquiries.
- Respond to all e-mail inquiries.
- Provide excellent customer service to students over the phone, via online chat and via email.
- Participate in telephone outbound follow-up and marketing efforts.
- Participate in University outreach recruitment activities.
- Prepare clear and concise statistical and interpretative reports on various metrics, when assigned.
- Process student registration and provide payment link/process payments, as needed.
- Handle basic technical support issues.
- Assist in resolving student issues involving: admissions, registration, financial aid, testing and other student-facing offices.
- Assumes other responsibilities as assigned by the Associate Director of Admissions & Enrollment Services.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of the principles and techniques essential to perform assigned responsibilities.
- Enhanced customer service knowledge.
- Basic knowledge of admissions and recruitment procedures.
- Ability to acquire extensive knowledge of college policies and procedures, especially those related to non-traditional adult higher education.
- Ability to understand, analyze, interpret and apply established law, regulations, procedures, precedents and guidelines.
- Ability to counsel students and others concerning college programs, activities and services.
- Well-versed in the degree and enrollment options at TESU, and present alternative methods of credit-earning.
- Ability to establish cooperative working relationships and coordinate with other offices or organizations that impact assigned responsibilities.
- Ability to represent the College by participating in or speaking at conferences, meeting, seminars, etc.
- Ability to prepare clear, technically sound, accurate and informative reports containing findings, conclusions, and recommendations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to maintain essential records and files.
Education: Graduation from an accredited college with a Bachelor's degree.
Experience: One (1) year of professional experience in an institution of higher education or in education, higher education or other field that directly relates to the functions of the position, or equivalency as determined by the appointing authority.
The minimum education experience standards for positions classified under this class title will vary depending upon the requirements of the specific position. In each case, these minimums will be determined at the discretion of the appointing authority.
Applicants who do not possess the required education may substitute required experience on a year-for-year basis (30 credit hours is considered one year of college).
A Master's degree in a field related to the position may be substituted for one year of the required experience.
The Office of Admissions & Enrollment Services hours are Monday-Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm.
Thomas Edison State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
About Thomas Edison State University
Thomas Edison State College was established by the State of New Jersey and chartered by the New Jersey Board of Higher Education in 1972. The College was founded for the purpose of providing diverse and alternative methods of achieving a collegiate education of the highest quality for mature adults.