IMPORTANT: Load all documents in the My Experience area under Resume/CV. This may include your resume/C.V., cover letter, unofficial transcript, teaching philosophy, etc. Please wait for all documents to finish uploading before clicking Next.
If the process times out you will lose your progress, so please ensure you have all necessary documents available before starting.
The drop-down lists only display so many options: please type into a drop-down list to search for your option. For example: in Field of Study, you may need to enter your field name. If you have no field, type 'None.'
If you have previously applied, make sure your information is current as you can transfer it to another application.
Prior to submitting your application, verify all information for accuracy and ensure you have uploaded all appropriate documents. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit your application other than to change your contact information.
If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact the Office of Human Resources via email at
Job Summary: To provide academic coaching and case management services to Furman University students, with a special emphasis on academic success strategies.
1. Maintains a roster of regular student appointments, providing academic coaching and case management services, particularly to students who need intensive support.
Assists students in developing individualized learning plans, goal setting, strengthening executive functioning skills and facilitating self-advocacy.
2. Assists with creation and implementation of workshops and programming for students on topics related to academic success.
a. Takes initiative for creating new programs as needed
b. Participates in Academic Affairs programming, including summer new student orientation.
3. Serves as academic advisor to students who are historically underserved academically.
4. Refers students as necessary to appropriate units on campus, such as mentoring and advising, Counseling Center, Earle Student Health Center, Spiritual Life, Enrollment Services, Title IX and ADA, Student Office for Accessibility Resources, Student Life case managers, Athletics, Housing and Residence Life and academic departments.
5. Pursues professional development to keep pace with demands for student services and information; including maintaining up-to-date information about the department and the university.
6. Completes performance review process with supervisor to understand job performance expectations and how they fit into the department, university goals and The Furman Advantage.
7. Communicates openly and recognizes contributions of co-workers and supervisor.
8. Follow safety procedures.
9. Performs other duties as assigned by the Director of Academic Success in support of the goals and objectives of the Division of Academic Affairs. The intent of this job classification description is to provide a representative summary of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions in this classification and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically present in this description.
Daily contact with members of own work unit, immediate supervisor, students, faculty and families to plan, coordinate, problem solve and present information related to mutual goals.
Responsibility for Final Decisions:
Tasks involve interpretation of data and/or procedures to address problems or situations that are not clearly defined. Work involves non-routine/diverse work not defined by procedures.
1. Bachelor's degree in Education or a related field required.
a. Master's degree in related field preferred.
b. Specialized training and/or education in Linguistics/ESL, Learning Disabilities and working with student-athletes is preferred.
2. Experience working with college students is preferred.
3. Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills.
4. Ability to multi-task and consistently meet deadlines while handling information confidentially.
5. Professional, team-oriented individual with a positive attitude.
1. Work is performed under usual office conditions. Some evening and weekend work may be required.
2. This is a full-time, 12-month position.
3. This is a 1 year position with the possibility of renewal.
**Evaluation of applications will begin on July 6th and continue until the position is filled.**
Furman is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty and staff. The University aspires to create a community of people representing a multiplicity of identities including gender, race, religion, spiritual belief, sexual orientation, geographic origin, socioeconomic background, ideology, world view, and varied abilities. Domestic partners of employees are eligible for comprehensive benefits.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Furman University is a selective private liberal arts and sciences college committed to helping students develop intellectually, personally, and interpersonally and providing the practical skills necessary to succeed in a rapidly-changing world. Furman professors are exceptional teacher-scholars who mentor undergraduate students within a campus community that values and encourages diverse ideas and perspectives.