Charles Wright Academy (CWA), located on a beautiful, wooded 107-acre campus, serves students in preschool through 12th grade. The only coeducational independent preschool-12school in Tacoma, Washington, CWA provides challenging, college preparatory academics that prepare students to thrive in college and in life. Equally important is a wide array of experiential education, artistic, athletic, and service opportunities that promote students’ social-emotional development and provide avenues by which they discover and pursue their passions. Close, respectful, and trusting relationships between faculty and students result in an environment in which all community members embrace both the hard work and the joy inherent in the journey of intellectual and personal growth.
CWA is safely operating in an in-person/hybrid education model, prepared to adapt to remote learning for any part of the 2021-22 year that is needed. We have resources available for training and preparation for faculty in best practices in remote teaching and learning.
Charles Wright Mission Statement:To inspire active, joyful learning while nurturing and challenging our students to develop the character, creativity, and skills to successfully navigate the future with confidence.
This position is .7 FTE appointment for the 2021-2022 academic year for grades 8-12. The likely teaching load will be two middle school sections and one upper school 200 level Spanish class. Additional duties will be assigned.
· Helps plan and implement the Middle and Upper School Spanish language curriculum.
· Develops classroom experiences using current research about World Language instruction and provides ample opportunities to integrate Hispanic culture into the curriculum through the use of authentic materials
· Provides a variety of learning opportunities, methods, and materials, including the integration of technology in pedagogically sound ways to enhance language learning
· Accommodates diverse abilities within the classroom
· Conducts ongoing assessments of students’ development and growth
· Inspires in students a love of learning languages and exploring diverse cultures
· Provides and maintains a stimulating, safe environment
· Practices appropriate and effective classroom management techniques
· A commitment to frequent collaboration and coordination with colleagues
· Communicates in a professional and timely manner with parents, colleagues, and the administrative team
· Attends all scheduled faculty and community meetings
Salary is competitive with other independent schools in the Pacific Northwest. Compensation includes a comprehensive benefits package to employees and their families designed to provide choice, flexibility, and value. In addition to health (medical, dental, vision), life and disability insurance, and a flexible spending account, we offer participation in the Academy’s 403(b) retirement plan, including a generous employer contribution once eligibility is met, paid time off, tuition remission for immediate dependents, and professional development.
The successful candidate will be fluent in Spanish; native or near native fluency is preferred. Additionally, the candidate will have earned a bachelor’s degree and have experience teaching in either a public or independent school setting. The candidate must be a dynamic teacher with experience developing effective and engaging lessons. The candidate should possess a willingness to consistently stay current with best teaching practices by seeking professional growth opportunities when applicable. A sense of humor, an ability to work cooperatively with peers, and a passion for working with kids is essential.
The candidate must have experience in dynamic, flexible pedagogical techniques. Familiarity with Google G-Site for education and Mac hardware/systems is preferred. A commitment to diversity and inclusion with a strong sense of cultural competency is desired.
If you are Interested, Please send:
1) a resume
2) a letter of interest
No phone calls or inquiries, please.
Employment is contingent on the successful completion of a national background screening and fingerprinting process.
Charles Wright Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer: M/F/V/D.