Geffen Academy educators approach teaching as an intellectual profession of the highest order, one in which knowledge is not only transmitted but created. Geffen Academy teachers possess a sophisticated and reflective understanding of their discipline and a record of achievement which demonstrates their ability to utilize and contribute to the robust connections we have with UCLA, a world-class research institution. Teachers’ innovation is guided by our school’s mission to prioritize proven educational practices while also recognizing that teaching is a complex intellectual endeavor that defies rigid codification. We are committed to a humane working environment and also recognize that teaching goes beyond the life of the mind. Geffen Academy teachers seek to create trusting and caring relationships with their students and with their larger community.
Under the direction of the head of the relevant academic department(s) at Geffen Academy and the relevant division director(s), Geffen Academy Educators will be responsible for the delivery of an excellent program of secondary school instruction, including participation in the creation of a course of study, offering excellent instruction to the Academy’s students in as many as five (5) courses each term, and participating in a the life of the Academy in a robust and fully engaged manner. This is a bargaining unit covered position.
The curriculum at Geffen Academy presents a multi-faceted exploration of history, government, civics, and other social science disciplines. Educators should be broadly competent and be able to teach a variety of courses in our middle school curriculum.
The Position: Geffen Academy Educator in the History department.
• Collaborate with other educators in the creation and implementation of an academic program that meets the needs and interests of the Academy’s students
• Consistent with department leadership’s direction, collaborate with relevant UCLA faculty in devising programs that enable the Academy’s students to take advantage of the its relationship with a research university operating at the cutting edge of knowledge creation
• Evaluate and choose books, digital materials, experiential opportunities such as museum visits and theatrical performances, and other academic resources
• Communicate information about student progress to relevant student services colleagues, including but not limited to department head, Dean of Students, academic advising and college guidance staff, Academic Coordinator, Registrar, counselor/psychologist, and athletic team coaches
• Participate in department representation at parent evenings and recruitment events
• Participate in committee work, within both the department and across Geffen Academy
• Consistent with department leadership’s direction, participate in interdisciplinary instructional programs
• Serve as a mentor and advise students as they develop and pursue independent projects
• Engage in co-curricular and extracurricular activities
• Orient new educators and establish appropriate mentoring relationships
• Meet as needed with the department
• Participate in ongoing professional development activities
• Provide coverage of instructional work for both scheduled and unscheduled absences of colleagues as needed
• Be available to students and parents for any and all department related issues
• This list of duties is not exhaustive.
• A Geffen Educator’s workload may vary from term to term and year to year. Each Geffen Academy Educator’s annual contract will reflect the workload anticipated for the time covered by the contract.