Under the general direction of the ASI Assistant Director, the ASI Student Union Programs Coordinator is responsible for advising and supervising the Student Union programming student teams, which include Student Union Events, the Spirit Squad and The Student Programming Board (SPB). The ASI Student Union Programs Coordinator provides comprehensive guidance and support to students related to leadership development, program planning, organizational oversight, and assessment that is in alignment with the CSU Channel Islands’ mission.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
Programs Oversight and Development
· Provides on-site oversight of Student Union programs, events, activities, and initiatives in keeping with University, ASI, and Student Union policies and procedures.
· Guides and supports students in the planning, coordination, marketing, implementation, and evaluation of all programs, events, activities and initiatives.
· Assists students in developing and directing the preparation and distribution of publicity for Student Union programs, events, activities and initiatives.
· Negotiates and secures vendor services and assures vendor compliance with CSUCI campus and purchasing policies, including the satisfaction of insurance requirements. Reviews and advances artists’ requirements in a timely manner (i.e. contract riders, hospitality riders, etc.) with Student Union Operations team, and other campus entities and vendors, and sufficiently to ensure requirement can be accommodated. Communicates and works on alternate solutions with performers if accommodations cannot be met.
· Assists in developing event management and security staffing plans and obtains permits in consultation and coordination with campus police, Conference and Events, Risk Management, and the California State Fire Marshal.
· Coordinates or assists with ASI signature programs, events, and initiatives as appropriate.
· On day-of-event, is responsible for pre-event logistics, assuring effective set up, event start and implementation, and event closure and clean up. Ensures effective execution, safety and security of all event aspects.
· Advises ASI Student Programming Board leaders and members providing comprehensive guidance and support for student leadership and development.
· Provides regular guidance to SPB student leaders, individually and at weekly group advising meetings, to support experiential learning and involvement opportunities for the CI student body to promote student leadership, development, pride, and retention.
· Develops and implements training for incoming SPB leaders to support student success in leadership roles.
· Oversees the recruitment and hiring of all Student Union Programs student assistant staff and provides leadership and coordination of staff orientation, training, development, supervision, and evaluation.
· Provides training and day-to-day oversight to Student Union Program areas: Student Union Events, Student Programming Board, and the Spirit Squad.
· Oversees the schedules of Student Union Programs student employees ensuring compliance with campus policy and state law; amends and approves timesheets.
Programmatic, Staff, and Financial Administration
· Conducts on-going assessment to determine program effectiveness and if program and learning outcomes were achieved. Creates and maintains reports of Student Union Programs initiatives, programming, budgets, leaders, and assessment.
· Provides presentations for purposes of training and communicating accomplishments of assigned programs and initiatives.
· Evaluates and analyzes programming and advises according to CSUCI’s risk management expectations, particularly with respect to sensitive or provocative content.
· Assists with the development and administration of Student Union Programs Budget including, annual entity-funding requests to the ASI Budget Allocation and Spending Committee.
· Regularly monitors/tracks Student Union Programs budgets and facilitates quarterly budget meetings, along with Assistant Director, to ensure spending according to planned budget allocation. Recommends and implements changes to ASI administrative and programmatic processes to ensure efficient and effective student support.
· Reviews and facilitates the completion of student employees and leaders, which includes but are not limited to, human resources, eligibility checks, travel authorizations, and procurement.
· Responsible for Student Union Programs event scheduling and updates, using University event scheduling software and coordinating with various campus partners to meet program or event needs.
· Maintains and updates Student Union Programs event calendar and distributes related information as needed within ASI and to campus partners.
University and Professional Expectations
· Participates in on-going professional development and attends all staff trainings and meetings.
· Works in collaboration with the Division of Student Affairs as well as other members of the campus and external community.
· Participates on CI committees and other programs promoting student success.
· Participates in professional associations, as resources allow, to remain apprised of current research and issues pertaining to higher education, assessment, and student development (i.e. ACUI, NACA, NASPA, CSSA, CMA, ACP, etc.).
· Maintains confidentiality of student information at all times (as per FERPA).
· Maintains confidentiality of personnel information.
· Performs additional related duties as assigned.
REQUIREMENTS OF POSITION:
· Bachelor’s degree required. A Master’s degree in leadership education, higher education administration, student personnel, or related field is preferred.
Professional Experience, Knowledge and Skills
· At least two years of progressively responsible professional experience working in student affairs and/or in a related field. A master’s degree in a job-related field may be substituted for one year of the professional experience.
· Exceptional interpersonal and collaboration skills and must be able to effectively work with a population of diverse constituencies in a complex and dynamic environment.
· Experience in event coordination, working with vendors, and on-site event management.
· Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
· Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple priorities.
· Ability to anticipate problems, reconcile conflicts, and operate from a strong philosophical base for student learning and engagement implement appropriate courses of action.
· General knowledge of campus-wide activities and student services programs with a commitment to the value of for coordinated and integrative efforts across campus.
· Competent with office technology and frequently used software.
· Ability to create, coordinate, and conduct presentations, instructional sessions and trainings.
· Must be able to work a variable schedule as needed, including evenings and weekends.
· Must be a self-starter and work independently as well as within a dynamic and creative team.
As conditions of employment, employees:
· Must meet established driving standards.
· Must pass a background check.
· May be subject to drug tests.
PREFERRED REQUIREMENTS OF POSITION:
· Three or more years of progressively responsible professional experience working in student affairs and/or in a related field.
· One or more years of previous experience working with student organization leaders such as student government, a programming board, newspaper, yearbook or similar student organization.
· An understanding of and the ability to apply student development theories.
· Experience in training and leadership development.
· Knowledge and understanding of CSU and/or Auxiliary policies and procedures.
· Experience in budget development and monitoring.
This position may require work to be performed outside of normal business hours.
The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
About ASI Student Union
Associated Students Incorporated is a non-profit auxiliary which exists to support the educational mission of CSU Channel Islands. ASI facilitates learning and development through integrative and co-curricular approaches and identifies and responds to major student issues and initiatives. In addition, ASI implements sound business practices which uphold the fiduciary responsibility associated with the management of student fees, and funds the operation and facility of the CI Student Union.