| Technology Specialist|
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Illini Union at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is seeking a talented professional to serve as a Technology Specialist.
Founded in 1867, the Illinois campus is one of the original 37 public land-grant institutions. It is one of the top comprehensive research public universities in the nation. The successful candidate will be working on a campus with academically talented and diverse student population, including 19 percent international students, 12 percent Asian American students, 5 percent African American students, and 6 percent Hispanic/Latino students from a total enrollment of over 42,000 students. As the community center of the University, the Illini Union draws together all members of the University with approximately 16,000 visits of students, faculty, staff, alumni, and guests on a daily basis.
Position Functions and Major Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Assistant Director for Information Technology, the Technology Specialist provides hardware, software, network and other related technology services, system administration, and desktop support within the established policies and guidelines of the Illini Union and University of Illinois.
- Serve as technology consultant and innovator for Illini Union staff and departments.
- Analyze functional and performance issues associated with use of technology and independently identify, design and implement actions to improve unique business processes or reduce costs.
- Apply technology with minimum supervision and using considerable evaluation, originality, and/or ingenuity.
- Plan and implement migration plans for major technology upgrades, including: Subject matter expertise encompassing Time & Attendance, Accounting, Point-of-Sale, Event Management, Microsoft Office Suite, as well as endpoint management and web tools.
- Design, configuration and operation of server farms, data arrays and controllers.
- Access and security in TCP/IP wired and wireless networks.
- Operation and configuration of Active Directory for Windows domain networks, management of Windows, Macintosh workstations and servers and mobile devices to enable the operation of critical business processes.
- Act as a technical and institutional resource for other Technology Specialists providing training and advice as needed.
- Supervise and train student technical support staff.
- Maintain knowledge of current and upcoming technology trends and their potential impact on the Illini Union operations.
- Perform other related duties as assigned to further the mission of the unit.
Required Qualifications: Illini Union
Bachelor's degree. Production server and Data Array administration experience. Experience with desktop and handheld/mobile hardware and software. Experience with Time & Attendance, Accounting, Point-of-Sale Software, Microsoft Office Suite and web tool software. Proficiency with Windows, Macintosh, or UNIX Network and Desktop operating systems on TCP/IP networks. Excellent understanding of relational databases and associated software. Excellent communications skills, ability to be flexible in a team-oriented department, and comfort working in an environment of many interruptions, are essential. Ability to function with a high level of independence and to exercise independent judgment in scheduling and completion of work assigned. Knowledgeable about current technology trends. Must be organized, detail-oriented and work well under pressure in order to meet multiple deadlines. Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality regarding sensitive information due to the nature of the information involved with transactions.
Appointment Status: This is a 12-month, full-time academic professional position.
Salary: Commensurate with experience and includes an excellent benefits package.
Proposed Starting Date: As soon as possible.
Application Deadline: June 8, 2017
Application Procedures: All candidates must complete an online application at jobs.illinois.edu prior to the application deadline for full consideration. Qualified candidates must upload a letter of application, resume, and contact information (name, address, telephone number, and email address) for three current professional references. Official transcripts will be required for all finalists. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
For additional information regarding the application procedures, please contact:
HR and Administrative Services
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu