Reporting to the Associate Vice President for Student Affairs, the director has overall responsibility for the activities, programs, and operations of the office of Inclusion and Multicultural Student Services (IMSS).
IMSS serves all students: focusing on gender, sexual, racially, and ethnically diverse populations. Through academic support, holistic guidance, identity development, 1:1 mentoring, programming, and partnerships across campus, IMSS advocates for students to become the best versions of themselves. IMSS offers resources and support to empower students to become self-sufficient and reach their goals.
The director of IMSS must be a collaborative leader, responsible for directing the staff in the development and delivery of programs and services designed specifically to achieve persistence and graduation rates equal to or above the overall university average for students who have been historically underrepresented and underserved in higher education.
- Establishes, in consultation with supervisor and staff, the overall department vision, goals, objectives, and plans consistent with the mission of the division and the university. Initiates and participates in overall program development and assessment and organizes resources to achieve goals. Provides formative and summative evaluation of departmental and programmatic effectiveness.
- Provides oversight for program operations to ensure program goals and objectives are accomplished in accordance with priorities, as well as time and funding limitations.
- Directs the overall recruitment, selection, training, supervision, and evaluation of one Assistant Director, two Coordinators, one Program Coordinator, and three Graduate Assistants.
- Provides direct service to individual students and coordinates overall departmental efforts to increase the number of gender, sexual, racially, and ethnically diverse students served by the IMSS in order to have a positive impact on persistence and graduation.
- Actively participates in the recruitment of gender, sexual, racially, and ethnically diverse students in concert with Enrollment Services programs, e.g., phone-a-thons, letter writing campaigns, communication activities, open houses, and yield events.
- In collaboration with Native American Student Services and culturally diverse student organizations, develops, promotes, and implements a comprehensive array of educational, academic, cultural, and social programs and services for students including cultural heritage weeks.
- Prepares, monitors, and maintains oversight of department budgets. Provides financial and statistical reports, projections, and recommendations as needed. Seeks outside grant funding to support department initiatives.
- Contributes as a strategic member of the Enrollment Management and Student Affairs division. Represents the department on various division and university committees. Participates in retention initiatives and program planning teams.
- Provides reports and recommendations on the activities of the department. Compiles reports for presentations to campus and other stakeholders.
- Demonstrates a commitment to equity, inclusion, and the university’s affirmative action plan.