Applications must be submitted online. To be considered for this position, please follow this link: http://z.umn.edu/1dlc. You will be given the opportunity to complete an online application for the position and attach a cover letter and resume.
Position Overview: The Coordinator of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is responsible for leading initiatives across the School of Public Health (SPH) that supports our mission to educate public health researchers, practitioners and professionals who represent and serve an increasingly diverse nation. The Coordinator will focus on the retention of underrepresented and international students and collaborate with staff and programs to recruit students of diverse backgrounds and identities. As a member of the Student Services Center staff, the Coordinator will work to identify barriers to access and retention, identify and build relationships with collaborative partners, and implement programs that provide measurable impacts to improve student retention, satisfaction and affiliation.
The incumbent will serve as liaison to, and collaborate with, the International Student and Scholars Office and various departments within the Office of Equity and Diversity. In addition, the incumbent will serve as a member of the University of Minnesota Academic Health Center Diversity Committee, The School of Public Health’s (SPH) Equity-Diversity-Inclusion-Team (outreach) and the Diversity and Equity-Advisory-Leadership Team (Consultation). The incumbent will also establish and/or nurture relationships with Twin Cities area colleges/universities and community agencies. Essential to the success of the Coordinator is development of SPH retention plans and programs, support to key Dean's Initiatives, and service as an event planner for Student Services to ensure diversity is incorporated into our programs and events.
Essential Job Functions - Summary
- Retention and matriculation of underrepresented students, international students, and students with diverse identities (40 % effort)
- Develop and deliver programming to support retention efforts
- Establish and / or sustain partnerships which provide key support
- Conduct continual assessment to determine programmatic action and to inform the adjustment of strategies to meet the evolving needs of students
- Develop proactive information and engagement strategies that help prospective students successfully matriculate
- Determine, request, and use data to inform decision-making in regard retention efforts
- Diversity & Inclusion Programming and Administrative Support (40 % effort)
- Manage the SPH bias grievance process
- Participate as a member and leader of various Public Health and Academic Health Diversity and Inclusion committees
- Serve as the School’s liaison to the Disability Resource Center and develop knowledge of campus resources to serve as a Mental Health Advocate
- Support the School’s efforts, and academic programs within SPH, to recruit underrepresented students through collaboration with the SPH Recruting and Enrollment Manager and Coordinator of Student Leader Development
- Provide vision, oversight, and support to implement / deliver programs, information and resources that recognizes and celebrates the diversity of the Schools’ students
- Partner on the development of programs and resources to help educate all SPH students to become culturally competent future health researchers, practitioners and professionals. Serve as a consultant to faculty and programs in their efforts to incorporate diversity and inclusion across the curriculum
- Dean’s Initiatives Leadership and Collaboration (10 % effort)
- Partner with School of Public Health senior leaders and faculty to develop and / or expand relationships with diverse communities in order to expand Public Health educational opportunities
- Support to School of Public Health (10% effort)
School of Public Health Student Services Center
The Coordinator for Diversity and Inclusion is a member of the School of Public Health Student Services Center (SSC) and reports to the Senior Director of Student Services. The SSC is comprised of the following functions: Recruiting and Enrollment Management, Registrar and Academic Administrative Processes, Career Planning and Development, Student Engagement and Leader Development, and Diversity and Inclusion. Members of the SSC work closely with departments contained within the Dean’s Office along with faculty and staff from the four academic divisions (Biostatistics, Environmental Health Sciences, Epidemiology and Community Health, and Health Policy and Management).
Through the lens of diversity and inclusion, SSC embraces the School’s mission to educate future thought leaders, practitioners, and academics who contribute to improving public health in Minnesota, the nation, and the world. As such, the Mission of the SSC is to:
- Function as an information, referral and support center to facilitate an engaged community of learners and educators.
- Develop and maintain relationships to connect students to information and opportunities that extends learning beyond the classroom.
More information about the School of Public Health can be found at www.sph.umn.edu