Director of Disability Services Harvard Medical School 45384BR
Duties & Responsibilities Reporting jointly to both schools through the Associate Deans in the Programs in Medical, Graduate and Dental Education at HMS and HSDM, the Director of Disability Services will define and determine standards, processes, and procedures for accessible education at HMS and HSDM based on pertinent law and the field's best practices in accordance with the ADA, the ADA Amendments, Section 504 and other federal and state regulations. This includes serving as a liaison between students, staff and faculty leaders of the MD, Master's and DMD programs, determining student eligibility for disability services, making recommendations for reasonable accommodations inclusive of didactic, lab and clinical environments and ensuring accessibility in all facets of student life.
Work and Responsibilities Breakdown:
• Serve as the subject matter expert in ADA, ADAAA and Section 504 compliance and provide leadership for HMS and HDSM students, faculty, staff and administrators around the determination and provision of reasonable disability accommodations. • Develop and manage practice, process and resources for: • Multi-modal communication channels to inform and engage students, faculty and staff about the services provided by the Office of Disability Services; • Intake and determination of student eligibility; • Analysis and interpretation for the reasonable accommodations process of diagnostic assessments and medical documentation; • Use and procurement of assistive and digital technology; • The interactive process essential to the determination of reasonable accommodations in didactic, lab, clinical and study abroad environments; • Data collection and reporting on the effectiveness of disability service delivery and implementation, disability-related trends and resource utilization, unmet needs, and emergent issues; • A grievance process for students to appeal the Office of Disability Services decisions; fact-finding and resolution of student disability discrimination complaints in collaboration with University Disability Services.
• Act as the primary liaison between the Office of Disability Services and related Harvard agencies, including University Disability Services (UDS); the Offices of the Deans of the MD, Graduate and DMD programs at HMS and HSDM and the Office of Learning Resources and Support at HMS; University Health Services and the Office of the General Counsel.
• Liaise with the Director of the Accessible Education Office in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences regarding disability services for PhD students on the Longwood campus; Liaise with the Chan School of Public Health Local Disability Services Coordinator regarding mutual issues around disability services on the Longwood campus.
• Monitor Office of Disability Services accommodation expenditures and develop fiscally prudent recommendations that ensure timely, consistent accommodations while maintaining good stewardship.
• Develop and coordinate Office of Disability Services trainings, including online educational opportunities for students, faculty, staff and administrators to increase disability awareness and provide information about the disability services process.
Basic Qualifications Bachelor's degree with 5 or more years of closely related experience required. Knowledge of applicable laws and regulations. Prior experience with ADA compliance and implementation in a higher education setting. Additional Qualifications Master's degree preferred. Superior communication skills, including the ability to write, speak, and present information effectively and persuasively in a wide variety of settings. Ability to tactfully handle sensitive situations with discretion. Ability to manage competing priorities and timelines while bringing initiatives to completion including the development of processes, milestones, and timelines. Knowledge of medical and health science education, including clinical and lab settings as they pertain to disability accommodations. Ability to navigate in a decentralized environment.Supervisory experience including individuals and teams.
Job Function General Administration
Department Program in Medical Education
Time Status Full-time
Union 00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Salary Grade 058
EEO Statement We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.