Assistant Director - Sexual Orientation,Gender Identity and Expression (SOGIE) Education and Support
James Madison University
February 9, 2018
Full Time - Experienced
4 Year Degree
The University Health Center at James Madison University (JMU) is seeking an Assistant Director for Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity and Expression (SOGIE) Education and Support to oversee and coordinate education, support and advocacy for and about students with underrepresented sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions. JMU provides comprehensive and innovative educational environments and programs, support services and advocacy for students with underrepresented sexual and gender identities/expressions, allies and the campus community. The Assistant Director for Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity and Expression Education and Support oversees and coordinates these efforts by creating an affirming and educational atmosphere that supports JMU's commitment to diversity. The Assistant Director reports to the Associate Director for Health Education, Advocacy and Prevention and supervises a graduate assistant and student staff. Candidates with multiple marginalized identities, including people who identify as queer or trans, people with disabilities and/or people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
This position is focused on students, their learning, development and achievement, and on creating environments for student success. As such, the Assistant Director is responsible for:
- Planning, implementing and evaluating relevant programs and services for students relating to sexual orientation and gender identity/expression.
- Building strategic and collaborative relationships with JMU departments to support students with underrepresented identities relating to sexual orientation and gender identity/expression to create an inclusive community.
- Managing a programmatic, resource and gathering space dedicated to students with underrepresented sexual orientations and gender identities/expressions.
- Contributing to relevant needs assessment, strategic planning, program evaluation and outcomes assessment.
- Overseeing Graduate Assistants, practicum students, interns and volunteers.
- Representing SOGIE Education and Support on key university groups and committees.
- Serving as a referral source and providing consultation as needed to JMU students.
- Bachelor's degree in gender studies, social work, health promotion, psychology, sociology or a related field required; master's degree in student affairs administration, higher education, counseling, gender studies, social work or related field is preferred.
- Relevant experience working with underrepresented gender and sexual identities; preferably 3 or more years in a college setting.
- Ability and willingness to focus on creating, implementing and assessing high-quality, high-impact educational programs.
- Ability to communicate goals, issues, needs and opportunities to a wide range of people.
- Ability to effectively supervise, guide and coach graduate students and professional staff.
- Evidence of organizational/administrative skills such as organizational communication, policy development, resource management, program evaluation, planning, data management and reporting, decision-making, event management, etc.
James Madison University is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive work and educational community that is free of all forms of discrimination. This institution does not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status. Anyone having questions concerning discrimination should contact the Office for Equal Opportunity: (540) 568-6991.